Hooked on Heros fishing day - steinhatchee

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Hooked on Heros fishing day - steinhatchee

Post by zload »

Fished with my friend John on his boat, took out two veterans from Lake City, we pre-fished Friday so ran out of Steinhatchee about 35 miles boated a couple of red grouper, tossed some short reds and gags and actually caught a red snapper or 20. Hard to get past the snapper so left them biting.

Winds on Sat were forecast to be a little more than we wanted to try with 2 unknown anglers so we stayed inshore.

Picked up our two anglers about 9am and headed North.

Water was 85 and pretty stained, got up to almost 88 before we came in. Caught lots of ladyfish, jacks and pinfish pecks in 4’-5’.

With nothing in the box at 1:30 we ran out to a deeper trough in 6’-8’ and quickly put some sandtrout and specks in the box, nothing huge but better than being skunked. Our anglers seemed to have a good time. I think I read about 125 veterans/active duty fished the event.

Ready for some cooler water.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
medicunderfire

Re: Hooked on Heros fishing day - steinhatchee

Post by medicunderfire »

That's about how our day went we finally got our guys at 930 and headed out we ran north caught tons of jacks and bass, and then tried moving out into some deeper water but the only thing we could find were short trout. It was a good day for a good cause though, we caught fish just nothing we were after
-
Robalo 246 Cayman 300 Yam
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Forgot to add that we had breakfast at the Bridge Cafe, apparently under new ownership. Food was good, fast and they kept the coffee cups full and offered to go cups without us asking. Not many people there for an early Saturday morning in a fishing town but give them a try if you are in the area they are on the right just before you go over the bridge. Fiddlers said they were not doing breakfast currently, their buffet Friday night was good too.
2008 Yamaha 150
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

We launched across the river from you at Good Times Marina that same day and saw you guys finishing up your Captain's Meeting. Wish we would have known about your tournament so we could have weighed in at both. Where can we get the results for the inshore catches?

Thanks - Steve Stinson
brotherinlaw

Post by brotherinlaw »

Finally got my crew of 3 loaded up about 930. Father and 2 sons all retired military. 2 AIR FORCE AND 1 COAST GUARD.

Hard to believe but the coast guard guy had never fished before. Blew my mind.

We headed south and found some trout, seabass and Spanish in 4-5 ft. Not a lot but they were happy. Signing up again next year.
medicunderfire

Post by medicunderfire »

The next one I think they said is march or april? It was overall a good time and a fun way to give back I'll have to try the breakfast spot
Robalo 246 Cayman 300 Yam
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Steve Stinson wrote:We launched across the river from you at Good Times Marina that same day and saw you guys finishing up your Captain's Meeting. Wish we would have known about your tournament so we could have weighed in at both. Where can we get the results for the inshore catches?

Thanks - Steve Stinson
Steve not a tournament per se, veteran and active duty military fish on volunteer boats for a recreational outing. I saw some pretty frail old guys on walkers etc. all the way to some really young guys who were active duty. Some have fishing experience others never fished a day in their lives.

They basically come down eat some doughnuts and coffee, get a loaner rod and some basic tackle and the volunteer captains get ice, fuel (if you want it) and this year some live bait. No real Captain's meeting that I am aware of, just sign in, get a bag lunch and your bait and eventually get your anglers and head out. There was a trout weigh in and a grouper weigh-in but small trophies only no $. Door prizes for the veterans group as well.

They do a cookout after everyone returned I think hotdogs and burgers or something along those lines, my buddy and I didn't stay for that. I wasn't the Captain on this one so not 100% sure of all of the details but that is how it went from my perspective. Search for Hooked on Hero's - Live Oak on Face Book for some more info, pics and history. I believe it is a national 501c3 charity that has local chapters/events. There was a report an Channel 27 WTXLwith some video of the mass chaos at SeaHag. :D
2008 Yamaha 150