September 22 and 23

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishfalcon

September 22 and 23

Post by fishfalcon »

Fished this weekend on the west flats. Had 3 young men fishing with me. Funny how if you have 3 pretty young women staying at the house, boys just start showing up. Anyway we fished the rising tide after breakfast and it was rougher than expected. water is still very tannin and there was a lot of floating grass. I had caught some alewives in the castnet and was using those for bait. We saw a few birds and some schooling fish. We caught a few Spanish and a few ladyfish plus a bluefish. We saw a school of big jacks but no hookups. Fished an underwater bar and caught a few trout including one 22" fish (chartreuse paddletail grub on bottom). Got crowded by some other boats so we moved on. Tried another area. we could see a few baits working so we idled towards them and the water kept getting shallower and warmer. Ended up in less than 2 feet of water at 1 o'clock in the afternoon with 90 degree water temps and caught 3 redfish to 25", a 5 ft blacktip, and 32 minute fight with a big bull shark (pushing 9 feet). Ran in and took the whole crew for a swim in Spring Creek which felt awesome. Finished the day with a low country boil. Sunday we had to wait out the thunderstorm and it was even rougher. Managed a short trout and one catfish before we gave up.
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Re: September 22 and 23

Post by Blue spinner »

thanks for the post
i was beginning to think no one was going to go fishing again
going down to the river latter this week , don't know if i will fish or not
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

fishfalcon wrote:Fished this weekend on the west flats. Had 3 young men fishing with me. Funny how if you have 3 pretty young women staying at the house, boys just start showing up. Anyway we fished the rising tide after breakfast and it was rougher than expected. water is still very tannin and there was a lot of floating grass. I had caught some alewives in the castnet and was using those for bait. We saw a few birds and some schooling fish. We caught a few Spanish and a few ladyfish plus a bluefish. We saw a school of big jacks but no hookups. Fished an underwater bar and caught a few trout including one 22" fish (chartreuse paddletail grub on bottom). Got crowded by some other boats so we moved on. Tried another area. we could see a few baits working so we idled towards them and the water kept getting shallower and warmer. Ended up in less than 2 feet of water at 1 o'clock in the afternoon with 90 degree water temps and caught 3 redfish to 25", a 5 ft blacktip, and 32 minute fight with a big bull shark (pushing 9 feet). Ran in and took the whole crew for a swim in Spring Creek which felt awesome. Finished the day with a low country boil. Sunday we had to wait out the thunderstorm and it was even rougher. Managed a short trout and one catfish before we gave up.
Jacks? Very cool.
Was the bullshark in the shallow water?
All photos copyright @saverymill
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks for the report, y’all did a lot better than we did Sunday
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Didn't fish but went cruising saturday and the water around st marks has cleared up ALOT but still stained.

I also went up both rivers and they are almost back to normal clarity. I'd say this weekend it should be pretty much back to "normal".
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Sounds like Saturday was a decent day-I'm just glad to see somebody went fishing-Those boys were probably ready to head in about 2:00 with what was waiting on them at the house! Thanks for posting up.