Shell Point 10/24

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Shell Point 10/24

Post by silverking »

Launched at Shell Point on the dead low and eased my way west. Negative low condition with the full moon tonight. Got into about three feet and started a nice drift with the east wind. Had several blow-ups on topwater (Skitter Walk) and spooked a 30-inch-plus red but a slow morning overall. Ran over by Mashes Sands to have lunch and let the pup romp on one of the beaches. Tried the topwater again in a backwater cove and had another pop and then a monster strike with the fish skying out of the water. Guess I should have changed those rubber hooks.

Ran back east and with the water up started getting more action. Watched as a huge trout humped up behind the plug and ate. Rod bowed, line tight, but it somehow managed to pull the in-line hooks. Oh well, the strike was memorable.

Switched to a new Texas lure I've been wanting to try, the Trout Support soft shad in Birthday Suit. Had a fish hit so hard it almost pulled the rod out of my hand. Turned out to be a slot trout, but it sure liked that lure. They have great darting action with a 5/0 weedless hook and are very durable. Survived a few more trout, numerous pinfish pecks and was finally nearly chopped in half by a hefty bluefish.

http://www.troutsupport.com

Water was silty but fairly clear. Visibility up to 3.5 feet and water temperature was nearly 73 degrees by mid-afternoon.

Wasn't a banner day, catching-wise, but it was good to be back on the water.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Re: Shell Point 10/24

Post by Blue spinner »

thanks for the report SK
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Thanks for the fishing and damage report...sounds like it might be getting ready to get better.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Hoping this weekend is better!
Wind from the NW at 10knts though
All photos copyright @saverymill
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Srbenda wrote:Hoping this weekend is better!
Wind from the NW at 10knts though
May want to take a look at Sunday
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Forgot to mention our flyover. Had a trio of A-10 Wart Hogs scream by heading west, probably to Hurlburt Field. :thumbup: Didn't appear to spook the fish, though.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

silverking wrote:Forgot to mention our flyover. Had a trio of A-10 Wart Hogs scream by heading west, probably to Hurlburt Field. :thumbup: Didn't appear to spook the fish, though.
Or Valdosta/Moody

Friend of mine flies A-10's out of there.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Brrrrrrrrrrrrt :thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Fished there yesterday also, but east a little and an oyster bar. Only managed a few throwback trout and a nice Spanish that hit at the surface, but sliced my tippet. Saw a little debris in the water, but less than I expected.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

eightwt wrote:Fished there yesterday also, but east a little and an oyster bar. Only managed a few throwback trout and a nice Spanish that hit at the surface, but sliced my tippet. Saw a little debris in the water, but less than I expected.
Thought that might be you running along Piney Island about 2. I was in the gray skiff with the big Rottweiler first mate. Should have flagged you down.
SoberAngler

Post by SoberAngler »

silverking wrote:Switched to a new Texas lure I've been wanting to try, the Trout Support soft shad in Birthday Suit. Had a fish hit so hard it almost pulled the rod out of my hand. Turned out to be a slot trout, but it sure liked that lure. They have great darting action with a 5/0 weedless hook and are very durable. Survived a few more trout, numerous pinfish pecks and was finally nearly chopped in half by a hefty bluefish.

http://www.troutsupport.com
Hadn't previously heard of this lure until I saw it mentioned here. So,...what do you think of this lure?

Kinda sorta reminds me of the Slick Lure (which I think is good). Maybe "in between" the Slick and Lil' Slick?

The Slick Lure took the original Paul Brown Devil (with treble hooks) and used its shape for conversion to a weedless, wide-gap.

https://pureflats.com/category/pf/
(Gainesville, FL)
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I think blatant hijacking of a thread to promote your lures incognito is a pretty feeble marketing plan.
SoberAngler

Post by SoberAngler »

silverking wrote:I think blatant hijacking of a thread to promote your lures incognito is a pretty feeble marketing plan.
What's wrong with you?

I have absolutely NO affiliation with Slick Lures (other than being a user).

I 'm sincerely interested in others' opinion of the TroutSupport lure. Why not respond to the inquiry about the TroutSupport product rather than "blow a gasket" over mentioning another lure?

Incidentally, just gave up on ordering an initial supply of TroutSupport lures because its website wouldn't allow me to pay through PayPal (using a credit card) without establishing a PayPal account.
SoberAngler

Post by SoberAngler »

silverking wrote:I think blatant hijacking of a thread to promote your lures incognito is a pretty feeble marketing plan.
"...blatant hijacking of a thread.."?

YOU started this thread. YOU mentioned the TroutSupport lure. In reply, I asked you of your opinion about this lure.

I'm "blatantly hijacking" YOUR thread?
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

silverking wrote:
eightwt wrote:Fished there yesterday also, but east a little and an oyster bar. Only managed a few throwback trout and a nice Spanish that hit at the surface, but sliced my tippet. Saw a little debris in the water, but less than I expected.
Thought that might be you running along Piney Island about 2. I was in the gray skiff with the big Rottweiler first mate. Should have flagged you down.
Wasn't me. Still way east at that time, but thanks for the thought...