Saturday 10/27

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishfalcon

Saturday 10/27

Post by fishfalcon »

Took my boat back to the coast on Saturday. Wanted to run some gas through it, but when I saw the low tide, the floating debris, and the strong winds, I decided it was not a good idea to go exploring. I spent some time cleaning up around the house, but eventually the salt air got to me. I threw the cast net and caught some finger mullet so I loaded up the kayak and struck out. Once I got away from the protection of the shore, the wind really started to push me. I got to my first spot and had to use my bucket as a sea anchor to slow my drift. I caught 2 sailcats over 24" which was fun but difficult to deal with in a bouncing kayak. Moved a little and caught a baby trout and then a 17" trout. I swung him into the kayak and he came unhooked. In the ensuing scramble, I managed to throw him back into the ocean which was pretty frustrating. I anchored up and then caught an 18.5" and a 22.5" on back to back casts to make my day. Next cast was a foul hooked snotcat. After dealing with him and taking waves over the bow I decided it was time to quit. Paddle time home against the wind was double my normal and I was whipped. Had fresh fish tacos for dinner. All in all, a good day.
countrycorners

Re: Saturday 10/27

Post by countrycorners »

Sounds like a worthy adventure!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Saturday 10/27

Post by Steve Stinson »

That wind was pretty crazy on Saturday morning. Andrew and I drove down the dirt road to the Aucilla ramp with hardly a palmetto leaf moving. Launched the boat and got to the mouth of the river greeted by whitecaps and howling wind out of the West. We fished one oyster bar, headed back up river and put the boat back on the trailer. :thumbdown: