Aucilla River 11-29-18

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Aucilla River 11-29-18

Post by Redbelly »

Put in at 12:30 it was a bit breezy and somewhat chilly at the island. Wind died and it became pretty nice.

I got a limit of nice big trout. Loaded up at 4:30, caught my last trout, 20", 100 yds from the landing going in. The bite was steady and got semi-hot around 3.
Threw back several 15-16" trout, lost several nice ones shaking off at the boat.

The highlight of the trip was the Florida Panther that ran in front of my truck for about 30 yds before shagging it into the woods!! :D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Re: Aucilla River 11-29-18

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Did you see the panther in the dirt road going to the Aucilla landing?
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Yes right at the WMA road where you make the last left going in
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

That’s cool. As elusive as those things are, you would think they would stay away from that one fairly busy dirt road in all that bush down there.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Thanks for the report.

I was curious about your panther sighting since I thought there range didn't extend past south FL so I did a quick search on the topic. Apparently FWC ask that any sightings be reported them. According to the report, there has only been one verified sighting north of I4 just outside of Orlando. If the one you saw is verified it would be by far the most northern one recorded.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

If it looked small for a panther, it may have been a jaguarundi. There is a population of them at the St Marks Refuge. I have seen them as far east as the Tram Rd bridge that crosses the Pinhook, not far from the Aucilla. First few times I saw them I told FWC I was siting panthers, then they showed me pictures of jaguarundi. Very cool-looking, smallish jungle cats.

Hope you did see a panther, though!
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Great catches!

I, too, question the validity of it being an actual Florida Panther. Can you describe the colouration, size, tail length, or any other features? Maybe a large bob-cat, lighter-fur coyote, or one of those jaguarundi cat things?

either way, definitely call in FWC and let them know! It is DEFINITELY possible; especially with the amount of storms we've had the past year or two!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Fair number of bobcats also at SMNWR. Main differences between them and jaguarundi...
Bobcats get bigger.
Bobcats have boxier faces.
Jaguarundi have longer tails, not "bobs."
geofish

Post by geofish »

Pretty sure I saw a panther out at St Marks refuge over a year ago. Long tail and way larger than a bobcat. I know now that I should have taken a picture of his pawprint to provide proof /confirmation for FWC. There's a website that tracks suspected and confirmed sightings where you can report
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I told JR right after that sighting and he said several hunters have claimed to have seen a panther.

The responses here got me thinking , so I used google.

I saw a Fla Panther. He seemed to be very gaunt, was very dusky colored. He was running in front of me for about 30 yds, then shagged right and I got a full sideview. Saw the tail, and he was bigger than the biggest Bobcat I have seen.

He went to the right down a WMA road and I stopped and watched him run off.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice report. Had a panther cross in front of me on the refuge road 5-6 years ago. No doubt what I saw, watched it walk in front of my truck, hop the creek that flows on west side of the road and slowly walk north on the other side of the creek. There are some around.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

Rainman and I saw one at the St Marks refuge 6 or 7 years ago. Stayed late catching reds off the bars. While driving out saw a nice 8 pt buck that almost ran into his truck. Then we had to run a big gator off the road. He was just chilling on the warm pavement. Then a panther crossed the road in front of us. We couldn’t believe it. It was definitely larger than an any bobcat with a long tail.
Ebryant

Post by Ebryant »

Here's a confirmed sighting in Troup County Ga.
http://archive.naplesnews.com/news/crim ... 1152.html/
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

I’ve seen 3. I’m sure of it, two of the three were more than just a fleeting glimpse. I saw two at one time years ago in Columbus Ga setting aerial targets hiking the hills. I saw one on the state line on a dirt that runs near Dixie plantation, it crossed the road in from of me and I watch him make his way to the wood line, he though he was hiding but the undergrowth was thin. So yes there are panthers around.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I didn't believe there were any out there until I saw one at St. Marks a couple years ago, They're getting brave too. We were behind several vehicles on our way out of the refuge when traffic backed up and we had to stop. A big one walked out of the wood line and slowly crossed in front of us like he/she didn't have a worry in the world. I remember thinking: People camp over night in these woods? :o
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/