Strategies For Fishing After the Big Rain?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Strategies For Fishing After the Big Rain?

Post by John21:6 »

If it's not raining tomorrow, which is Saturday December 14, I want to fish in the St. Marks River for trout, redfish, etc. I am thinking I will have the best luck using live shrimp around the oyster bars from the river mouth to about half way to the fort. Considering all the runoff and water temperatures in the upper 50s, would there be a smarter strategy (aside from stopping at Publix) to put fish in the cooler tomorrow?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Strategies For Fishing After the Big Rain?

Post by silverking »

Sounds like a good plan. Trout are much less tolerant of fresh water than reds so the closer you can get to salt, the better. Work the deeper holes and cuts between bars.

Several good reports of river fishing over the last week or so following that strategy. Water clarity was surprisingly clear, although that could change with this latest deluge.

Good luck. Anxious to get back out there myself as soon as I whip this nasty winter cold I picked up on a flying germ incubator.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

We started fishing today near the creek by the 54 marker. The water was dark dark. We tried live shrimp and artificials, and had no real bites. We headed down to the oyster bars around the East River mouth. Still no luck. Surprisingly, we saw a few boats in the east flats. On the way back to Shell Island fish camp, I caught two Ladyfish between the fort and the yacht club. One ladyfish was miniature and the other, trophy size. They hit my gold-broken glass suspending mirrolure. Folks on another boat in the area said they caught a few trout. Folks on another boat headed for shield’s said that they caught two fish on 4-6’ in the flats. Water temperature in the river was 61 degrees.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I fished out of Econfina Saturday and did okay. More standing water along each side of 98 than I have ever seen. We ran out on a high tide to calm water so we tried some offshore fishing in the morning with no luck. We could see the fish down there, but couldn't get them to hit. Moved in to about 10 feet of water and still no luck. Headed back all the way to the shoreline and found lots of reds with some trout mixed in. We probably caught 15 - 20 reds with most being small. Kept 3 reds and 11 trout.

If you run the Econfina, be careful of the trees / logs. I planed off leaving the ramp not worried about rocks because the water was so high. The high water has floated some trees and logs into new locations. One of them hung in the "No Wake" sign just downstream from the ramp and twisted it in a circle. I bounced off of one of them, but didn't do any serious damage to my prop or motor.

Good Fishin'
Steve Stinson
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

- Saturday - late start. Rainman and I fished the rivers a bit before those jacklegs Milto and BigPhishy showed up. We then headed out and went East. Water clarity varied based on the area we fished, and temps ranged from 56-61. Wind was pretty casual and never got unbearable. Total Count: 50 Redfish, 20 Trout, 1 Flounder, 1 bottle of Basil Hayden

- Sunday - earlier start. Rainman and I headed out, jacklegs had to work. Went East, different spots. Water clarity varied based on where we fished and temps ranged from 57-61. Wind got progressively worse throughout the day and at one point maintained a casual 15mph from NW. Water blown out everywhere. Total Count: 0 Redfish, 6 trout, 0 flounder... 20 waters and sports drinks :lol:

Fish are there, just have to move around. Although on Saturday, we spent the majority of the day within a half mile of all major bites.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Stoney Bayou was still stained pretty dark yesterday (Monday, Dec 17), at least at the north end, near the levees. The trout did not seem to mind. They are hitting very aggressively right now. Maybe trying to fatten up before the next sustained cold snap.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Anyone try up the st marks river?
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Fished the St Marks up to the powerlines, caught bass and redbreasts. No saltwater fish. Didn't see any significant amount of fish out in the middle on the graph. Current was ripping and water was super high and dirty.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

J Holden wrote:Fished the St Marks up to the powerlines, caught bass and redbreasts. No saltwater fish. Didn't see any significant amount of fish out in the middle on the graph. Current was ripping and water was super high and dirty.
Same story here just making sure I don't suck.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

With these temps and all the fresh water, I say find creek mouths with some rock grass.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

My strategy is to stay at home, eat pizza and drink beer until we've had a rain free week. The way it looks, I'll gain 100 pounds before I fish again. :smt011
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/