Black Sea Bass

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

Black Sea Bass

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

Went out of St. Marks to the flats a few weeks ago with my son. Went to one of my usual rocky spots and the BSB's were insane. Every cast we'd catch one, sometimes two on the same jig! We caught 36 one after the other before I said "enough!" The cooler was getting full, and it just seemed time to stop. All but a few were 10+ inches, most 12 to 14. Nice healthy plump looking too. The have small fillets, but when you get 36, it's a decent bit of meat! In all my previous trips in the gulf, the most keeper sized BSB's I'd ever caught was 2 or 3, sort of random fish in between trout, reds or flounder and cats. This day, there must have been a giant hungry school passing through that spot.

Went to the same spot exactly one week later, NOTHING. Went two weeks after that, NOTHING.

Get 'em while you can on the good days. There's lots of days with nothing.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Black Sea Bass

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

I have been looking for them this winter, with very limited success, at least for keeper size. I have been fishing anywhere from 10' to 25'.

They are delicious to eat! To maximize the yield, I'll scale and gut them, and then bake, grill, or fry them whole. Usually a 12" fish is enough food for 1 person.
All photos copyright @saverymill
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

We did the same thing 2 years ago about this time of year. We were on a bar looking for reds and trout and they were thick-would hit anything we threw. Just got tired of catching and did not want to clean that many and moved on. Got enough for a nice fry.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Jenks30fb

Post by Jenks30fb »

Two weeks ago we were 3 miles off of dog island. They would eat anything, so we started experimenting. Just so you know, grapes even work when they are that thick (however grapes don’t stay on the hook for long). We was even bringing them into the boat on the weights. They would bite the 4 oz egg sinker and not let go until they hit the boat floor.