Looks like record low tide on Monday (MLK day)

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

Looks like record low tide on Monday (MLK day)

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

Even without the forecasted north wind it looks like it will be a low, low, low tide Monday morning. About as low as it gets, ever, save for hurricanes that blow from the north. One of those days that when you're heading down the St. Marks River on a calm morning up ahead in the distance it looks like you're in the North Carolina mountains, the oyster bars are sticking out so high. Where the flats way out in front of Horn's creek and towards Slough Island look like a big brown field, with white herons and red crab traps all over it. When you're plowing mud and grass so far out you can't believe it's that shallow so far out--and that's in a 15 foot jonboat with a 25.

I think I want to go out just to see the spectacle of it. And try to fish some holes of course. Fish gotta be in 'em, right? Might have to pull a Droze and slog through mud to get to the creek reds--but from the bay side, pulling my boat along.

The good news is that if you get stuck in the morning, it's high tide at 1:00 pm. Good time to eat a sandwhich.
big bend gyrene

Re: Looks like record low tide on Monday (MLK day)

Post by big bend gyrene »

If you go, love to see some pictures.

Been a post or two in the distant past sharing views that were pretty incredible... really fun (and from a boating perspective scary) seeing what's normally largely hidden by dark waters...
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
killswitch

Post by killswitch »

big bend gyrene wrote:If you go, love to see some pictures.

Been a post or two in the distant past sharing views that were pretty incredible... really fun (and from a boating perspective scary) seeing what's normally largely hidden by dark waters...
Saw a pic several years ago at the Ecofina ramp on a big winter negative tide. Looked like you could just step across the trickle of water. Would be cool to see the rest of the river or the Aucilla on one of those tides.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I live for days like Monday. Will be pulling on my dive boots and hiking Cedar Creek all the way from Deep Creek levee to Palmetto Island. There's a trough out there that's 90% fish, 10% water on winter negative lows. Long trek on foot, but worth it for the surreal views of waterless creeks. And nary a boat in sight!
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I can't begin to imagine what Gary Droze would classify as a "long trek on foot". :lol:

Gary, I assume you have to work your way back in as the tide comes in or you would be swimming the last 1/2 mile right?
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

rockyg wrote:I can't begin to imagine what Gary Droze would classify as a "long trek on foot". :lol:

Gary, I assume you have to work your way back in as the tide comes in or you would be swimming the last 1/2 mile right?
Yeah I'm with you a long trek to a coach tells me I ain't cut out for that hike in the mud, though I'll admit I looked on Google earth to see just how far were talking.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Rockyg: If the forecast for 10-15 knot north winds holds, I won't hafta worry about incoming tide. Apalachee bay will look like a giant mudflat all day long.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Tide got very low yesterday, but will get lower as the moon approaches full. Wind coming from the south made the tide roar back in and get very high. Looking at gale force winds right now. If the wind don't drop a lot, I think I would have to let my curiosity wait for another day.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Froze my arse off wading today out at the Refuge. Caught no predator fish, but netted 9 fat mullet from a hole near Stoney Bayou. Man it was cold with that NW wind. I think I will pass on MLK Day, as temps predicted to be even lower. Brrr. Instead, I'll be eating fresh fried mullet in front of the fireplace!