St. Marks 2/22/19

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

St. Marks 2/22/19

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

Four of us went together in two small boats. Buddy had live shrimp, I did not, thinking it didn't really matter. We fished in pretty much the same places and all day he was killing the trout with live shrimp under a cork. I used my usual tackle setup--casting a free (no float) 1/4 oz. red headed jig with different colored Gulp shrimp, with and without a strip of fresh ladyfish on it. I also tried the same with a clacking cork above it. We got out early & fished all day: oyster bars, flats, Black Rock, Grey Mare, creek mouths & up creeks, outgoing & incoming tides. I only got two trout (nice keepers) and two rat reds. That was ALL we caught in my boat. He ended up with 9 big trout and a flounder. He also caught a lot of short trout & a catfish.

I am now a believer in using live shrimp.

Nice day weather-wise--very calm, overcast, not hot/not cold. Water was pretty clear in some places & a little dirty in others. Was pretty foggy early, then cleared up, then it rolled back in at around 2:00. Weird.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks 2/22/19

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the report. Beats sitting at a desk.

Gulp! baits are made with menhaden oil and the menhaden aren't here yet. Shrimp are, however. You can go with the real McCoy or you might try a 1/4-oz. DOA shrimp in near clear, gold glitter/glow or root beer. Add a squirt of Pro-Cure shrimp bait gel and you've got scent and longevity. I usually fish the DOA with just a leader, but they work very well under a popping or clacker cork, too.

Sounds like our spring season is really getting started in earnest. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

silverking wrote:Thanks for the report. Beats sitting at a desk.

Gulp! baits are made with menhaden oil and the menhaden aren't here yet. Shrimp are, however. You can go with the real McCoy or you might try a 1/4-oz. DOA shrimp in near clear, gold glitter/glow or root beer. Add a squirt of Pro-Cure shrimp bait gel and you've got scent and longevity. I usually fish the DOA with just a leader, but they work very well under a popping or clacker cork, too.

Sounds like our spring season is really getting started in earnest. :thumbup:
I learn something almost everytime I log onto this site.
Thanks silverking!
Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

Great report, anybody catching pompano
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The Pro-Cure gels are made from the actual bait, i.e. real ground up shrimp, mullet, etc.

A squirt down each side of a lure lasts for multiple casts. Not sure, but I think Kevin's carries it and I know Shields Marina does. Pro-Cure also has an on-line store. A bottle lasts a long time.

http://pro-cure.com/store/target-specie ... ecies.html
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Ted, I had a similar day ,except chasing reds. They wouldn’t hit anything but live shrimp. I’m sure that trout with side of claws made for a great meal!
Yes, the pompano have hit St George Sound area.