Jaws Moment

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Re: Jaws Moment

Post by GaryDroze »

I wadefish all summer, mostly because I can't help it. Fellow wadefish anglers, you know what I mean. There's something addictive about sharing the water with your targets.

That said, when you are a good ways out on foot and an 8ft bull or tiger starts doing that inquisitive circle swim, it quickly reminds you where you rank on the food chain out there.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

If anybody has only learned 2 things from this place there are it •

If it’s dangerous GaryDroze is out doing it.

If it’s dangerous and vacuous BloodyChamp is out doing it.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

GaryDroze wrote:I wadefish all summer, mostly because I can't help it. Fellow wadefish anglers, you know what I mean. There's something addictive about sharing the water with your targets.

That said, when you are a good ways out on foot and an 8ft bull or tiger starts doing that inquisitive circle swim, it quickly reminds you where you rank on the food chain out there.
That adrenaline rush when you're a bit over waist deep and have that lure get smashed and drag start screaming... Only to realize it's a giant school of blacktips coming through. And you try and move back backwards but lose both your shoes and fall below your head underwater only to make it back to shore and finally unhook the bugger.

If anyone finds a pair of NBs out of bottoms road that are a foot deep in mud and look like they're 8 years old... Holla lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've had blacktips cruise close while wading but they never acted overly aggressive. Bulls are a different critter, however. Read somewhere they have some of the highest levels of testosterone in the shark family.

Did experience a heart-pounding moment when I was waist deep and working into the mouth of a creek east of the Lighthouse years ago. Looked just ahead to see a wide set of gator eyes staring at me. The snout was below the surface, but I'm sure it was licking its lips. Backed out of there as quickly as I could without taking my eyes of the lizard and hightailed it back to the boat.

When I told my wife about it later, she looked up from her book and said simply, "Well, you're in their element and your life insurance policy is paid up. So it's your choice."

I didn't go wading again for a long time afterwards. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

silverking wrote:I've had blacktips cruise close while wading but they never acted overly aggressive. Bulls are a different critter, however. Read somewhere they have some of the highest levels of testosterone in the shark family.

Did experience a heart-pounding moment when I was waist deep and working into the mouth of a creek east of the Lighthouse years ago. Looked just ahead to see a wide set of gator eyes staring at me. The snout was below the surface, but I'm sure it was licking its lips. Backed out of there as quickly as I could without taking my eyes of the lizard and hightailed it back to the boat.

When I told my wife about it later, she looked up from her book and said simply, "Well, you're in their element and your life insurance policy is paid up. So it's your choice."

I didn't go wading again for a long time afterwards. :wink:
Yeah black tips and spinners are one thing but I don’t want to be out there with a big bull, those things kill people.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Last shark attack in Wakulla county was in 1952 and in that one nobody was bitten. A shark was chasing fish and leapt into the boat, thrashed and then flopped out.

I will play those odds.
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

procraftwes wrote:Last shark attack in Wakulla county was in 1952 and in that one nobody was bitten. A shark was chasing fish and leapt into the boat, thrashed and then flopped out.

I will play those odds.
FYI, I was told by someone close to the family that the diver who disappeared out of Shell Point (Wakulla County) two years ago, Glen Peel, is suspected to have been a victim of a shark attack. His body was never found so they can't confirm but I think I was told they found a piece of his dive equipment that appeared to have signs of an attack. Here's a link that I found via Google that doesn't have any definitive info but certainly his friends believe it was a shark:

https://sharkattacks.info/viewtopic.php?t=2058
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Vitz wrote:
procraftwes wrote:Last shark attack in Wakulla county was in 1952 and in that one nobody was bitten. A shark was chasing fish and leapt into the boat, thrashed and then flopped out.

I will play those odds.
FYI, I was told by someone close to the family that the diver who disappeared out of Shell Point (Wakulla County) two years ago, Glen Peel, is suspected to have been a victim of a shark attack. His body was never found so they can't confirm but I think I was told they found a piece of his dive equipment that appeared to have signs of an attack. Here's a link that I found via Google that doesn't have any definitive info but certainly his friends believe it was a shark:

https://sharkattacks.info/viewtopic.php?t=2058
The way I heard it was that they were able to pin it down to a tiger shark from the bc that was found on ochlockonee shoals
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Some of the spearing guys on this board would say there is nothing like diving down and seeing where you fish, your catch will improve.
This seemed to be logical advice, so I threw a mask and fins on board to check out Rotary a few years ago.
It was a beautiful day with clear water, today was the day...until she* swam by.
Still haven't tried it.

woop

*she - 14 ft tiger
** I remember several board members saw her around the same time.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

Me and a friend were fishing out around Marker 24 several years ago. It was in August best I remember and hot as blazes so my friend decided he wanted to take a dip off the boat. I warned him about the strong current and when he dove in he came up some distance from the boat due to the current. He swam back and had just climbed back into the boat when we saw a huge shark coming right for us and literally swam under our boat. You should have seen the look on my friends face! I looked thru images of shark species when I got back home and pretty much decided it was in fact a Tiger shark. Needless to say my friend has never once since even mentioned getting in the water.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I’ve seen a few nice ones on ochlockonee shoals also. Not far from rotary or 24
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Ive seen "HER", twice, just south of the 2nd pole in the East flats in about 6-8 feet of water. It was last year, late spring. Looked like a spotted submarine. My 12 year old was fishing from the bow of the boat and alerted me....we both were a little spooked. She looked as long as the 17 ft boat we were in. He questioned me about scalloping that year-luckily there were no scallops last year....
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

FTReelty wrote:Ive seen "HER", twice, just south of the 2nd pole in the East flats in about 6-8 feet of water. It was last year, late spring. Looked like a spotted submarine. My 12 year old was fishing from the bow of the boat and alerted me....we both were a little spooked. She looked as long as the 17 ft boat we were in. He questioned me about scalloping that year-luckily there were no scallops last year....
Funny you should say submarine...That was also my first thought when I saw her.
But bless her heart, she was toting about five nice cobes with her, and I boated a keeper off her.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

woopty wrote:
FTReelty wrote:Ive seen "HER", twice, just south of the 2nd pole in the East flats in about 6-8 feet of water. It was last year, late spring. Looked like a spotted submarine. My 12 year old was fishing from the bow of the boat and alerted me....we both were a little spooked. She looked as long as the 17 ft boat we were in. He questioned me about scalloping that year-luckily there were no scallops last year....
But bless her heart, she was toting about five nice cobes with her, and I boated a keeper off her.
The one that came under our boat out by marker 24 had a huge school of fish swimming with her and we grabbed our rods and chunked as they were passing on bye and I hooked up with a nice 24" spanish mack and my friend hooked up with a jack. I thought that really odd at the time.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

woopty wrote:
Bless her heart.. lmao