Ecofina April 5-7th.

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Ecofina April 5-7th.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Well we fished Keaton the first day as the rain was bad at Ecofina. The new pier looks reel nice but its a shame that there is no marina anymore. Image. We ran south as north looked like a wall of rain. While running we realized that the hydraulic steering had a problem. When at low speed it would turn but on plane it would barely work. Opening the fill hole found it dry as a bone. We figured we would fish then make our way slowly in later. Wound up with with 3 trout by lunch before it looked like we better get on in to Bigbend Marine. Image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: Ecofina April 5-7th.

Post by procraftwes »

Been there with the steering.. :smt012

Easy fix but really makes it hard to fish.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

procraftwes wrote:Been there with the steering.. :smt012

Easy fix but really makes it hard to fish.
Yes and no. Had never done before.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Well we got to Bigbend marine to get the oil. I asked if there was a procedure to add the oil. The young fellow in the store said you need this adapter and another tube. He explained the entire process and even walked outside to show us where to bleed it. He had the adapter fir sale but not the tube. He said wait a minute i have on in the back I can give you. Kudos for great service! We pulled to an empty lot next door and did it in about 20min (how long he said it would take). Image. That worked like a charm and the steering felt good. So off to Wilson’s and back to the hotel at Ecofina. Image. We cleaned the fish and got showers. Then after a rest it was time to go to “Deals famous oyster house” for some good food.

Hit-n-Miss

Ecofina April 5-7th.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Saturday morning we had to get out early to beat the tournament crowd. Image. We idled out with flashlights till could see well enough to run. We went east and got to fishing. My buddy was killing the short trout but I couldn’t get a bite. We caught 5 remoras in s row after that. But at 10:00 the first trout hit the box. And we had a limit by lunch. Image. (Fish #10 and a blue not in photo) We caught another limit of trout by 3:00(that we threw back) and headed in. Image. Man what a crowd at the ramp. Image. Luckily nobody was using the cleaning station so we went and cleaned the fish. Met this cute little guy there. Image. Image. After we got cleaned up it was time for dinner at Deals again. Yummy [FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD]

Last edited by Hit-n-Miss on April 10th, 2019, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hit-n-Miss

Ecofina April 5-7th.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Sunday the 7th. We got up and got packed. Then headed to the ramp and headed out to a beautiful sunrise. Image. On my second cast I caught a Spanish. Image. Shortly thereafter a small bird flying towards the boat does not make it and splashes down in the water by the boat. I fished him out with the landing net. Image. Poor little guy looked wore out so I put him on the console to rest. Image. We needed to move and I knew the little guy wasn’t rested enough so i put him inside the console while we ran. After about an hour I opened the console and he flew out landing on a reel. Then he flew off. Image. Pretty good fishing today after about 10:30 with 68 degrees water. Image. Image. Image. We headed in at lunch with 3 trout a spanish and a pompano. Was a great trip with a good friend. Can’t wait till next year. Image.

Last edited by Hit-n-Miss on April 10th, 2019, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Way to go H&M. Glad you got after em. Awesome report...been waiting on one like that!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Great trip and report. Nice catch and release on the feathered guy, too.

That is a fat pompano. How are or did you fix it? Baking with a koser salt dome is delicious.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Hit-n-Miss

Ecofina April 5-7th.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

FTReelty wrote:Way to go H&M. Glad you got after em. Awesome report...been waiting on one like that!
. Thanks. I’ll be honest, I almost didn’t post a report. It seems like nobody bothers to do it anymore. I used to could hardly wait to read all the great reports (good or bad) but now they are few and far between. Wish this site would get back to the way it was. We had fun and the color of the day was any color as long as it had a chartreuse tail.

Last edited by Hit-n-Miss on April 9th, 2019, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

silverking wrote:Great trip and report. Nice catch and release on the feathered guy, too.

That is a fat pompano. How are or did you fix it? Baking with a koser salt dome is delicious.
. Thanks. Couldn’t let the little guy die. Have not cooked the Pompano yet. Not tried that way yet. Was planning on baking with a parmesan crust.

rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Nice report. You win the wide variety award. Not many folks can claim to have caught a big gar, small bird, Remora, trout, Spanish and a nice pomp on the same weekend. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

rockyg wrote:Nice report. You win the wide variety award. Not many folks can claim to have caught a big gar, small bird, Remora, trout, Spanish and a nice pomp on the same weekend. :thumbup:
. Thanks. There’s more variety including sailcat, flounder (lost boatside), houndfish and this ugly hammernocker. Image.

Bobber

Post by Bobber »

Great report Hit-n-Miss, getting me excited for my week on the Appalach at the end of the month.

One question: how was the room at the Ecofina Resort? My first time there, usually at Shell Island but they're booked solid.
Did you have cell service?
Hit-n-Miss

Ecofina April 5-7th.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Bobber wrote:Great report Hit-n-Miss, getting me excited for my week on the Appalach at the end of the month.

One question: how was the room at the Ecofina Resort? My first time there, usually at Shell Island but they're booked solid.
Did you have cell service?
. Thanks. The room is guy ok, wife not so much. Shower is like a phone booth. There is NO cellphone reception in the room. But spotty reception outside. But the room was clean.

Bobber

Post by Bobber »

Ha Ha, thanks - guess you've never been in the old rooms at Shell Island but my wife loves it there so this'll be good.