Steinhatchee April 4-5

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hunt Nasty

Steinhatchee April 4-5

Post by Hunt Nasty »

went down to the Hatch last weekend for my annual guys fishing trip - Started out North Friday morning buy by noon the weather was threatening to blow us off the water. So we went south and hung out close to channel in case we needed to run in but of course the rain never came although the skies stayed dark all day around us. The bite was completely shut down Friday as we only managed 3 keeper trout and a shark - our neighbor boat only caught 7 keeper trout.

Saturday was a different ball game although the FOG was ridiculous. It never cleared all day and we could only see maybe 300 yards in any direction... scary considering the googans hauling ass by us throughout the day. Went north towards Grassy Friday morning and immediately starting catching keepers in 3 feet of water on pink mirrodines. Wound up with 12 keepers, a huge Spanish, and a bunch of shorts. Our neighbor boat had a 4 man limit by noon throwing a mix of topwaters, jigs, and mirrolures but topwater was apparently the ticket as my buddy caught 13 keepers himself on a skitterwalk.

All in all a good trip although my boat didnt make it back to Georgia. Bearing blew out just South of Perry so had to have the SOB towed in to an auto place there and have a buddy going back to get it this week.
Hit-n-Miss

Steinhatchee April 4-5

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Great report. Bearing sounds like my luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ropeman

Re: Steinhatchee April 4-5

Post by ropeman »

Great report! What kind of shark did you catch? I got a bonnet head on Saturday that was about 2' long. It was fun to catch, but not as tasty as trout or reds!
Hunt Nasty

Re: Steinhatchee April 4-5

Post by Hunt Nasty »

ropeman wrote:Great report! What kind of shark did you catch? I got a bonnet head on Saturday that was about 2' long. It was fun to catch, but not as tasty as trout or reds!
Ropeman it was an Atlantic Sharpnose - my buddy likes to toss out live pinfish we catch behind the boat. He bit a pretty good one. Weighed about 7 pounds...hell of a good fight though