Yates Creek Wednesday April 17

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Yates Creek Wednesday April 17

Post by CSMarine »

Got to the creek about 9:00am. Bone dry. Managed to shove the Stumpnocker off the trailer into about three inches of water. That was a feat considering I have a broken foot in a splint up to the knee. My wife has helped launch my boats enough in the 45 years we"ve been fishing partners that she handled it this time by herself.
Not enough water to get out so we busied ourselves with catching pin fish. Finally got out the creek and headed north. First stop with in five minutes my wife landed a nice eighteen inch trout using cut bait (shiner tails.)
After that one it was pretty much catch two or three, move a little catch two or three all day until we both had our limit, plus four nice rock bass.
All our fish were caught on shiner tails, in three to four foot of water. As the tide got closer to full the bite slowed down, but never really stopped.
Nice day on the flats.
Resized952018110795143348.jpg
Last edited by CSMarine on April 18th, 2019, 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Fi
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Re: Yates Creek Wednesday April 17

Post by Redbelly »

Sounds like a very nice trip! :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Got it! If your a sponsor very easy once you figure it out.
Semper Fi
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

I've heard of folks using "shiner tails" but never done it myself. How do you cut the tail and how do you rig it?
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Very nice trip. You caught em up. I love fishing with shiner tails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Great job there, Billy. I haven't made it down there yet this year, been catching some nice bream up here. :wink:
Yours in the South
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Vitz. You just cut the head off. Then cut it in half longways making two baits. Rig your line in a Carolina rig like you bass fish with. A swivel with about 14 inch leader of 20 pound floracarbon line, no. 3 hook, use a 1/16 ounce bullet lead above swivel. Throw it down drift, don't reel, just pump it. They will usually hit it on drop.
I also use it under a cajun thunder rig. Same rig as what you use with gulp. Just replace gulp grub with shiner tail.
Semper Fi