St. Marks 4/28

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Boudreux

St. Marks 4/28

Post by Boudreux »

Headed out of the fort about 7 this morning. Went just east of the lighthouse in about 4-5 foot of water. The top water bite was good right off the bat. Caught my first keeper trout on my 3rd cast. Got a few more shorts on the topwater. Even had a Black Sea bass come up and sniff it but wasn't interested in biting. Moved around a little but it seemed that the 4-5' depth was where they were biting best. About 9:00 I gave up the topwater and started throwing a mirrodine suspending twitch bait. Caught 3 more keeper trout and about 5 shorts in the next hour and a half or so. Caught and lost lots and lots of ladyfish today too. When the tide stopped moving around 11:15 or so the bite stopped. The water was so calm I decided to ride out to the st. marks reef because I've never been there. There was one boat out there and I'm pretty sure he was sitting right on top of it. I kind of expected the reef to be a little bigger, didn't seem like there was much to it. Didn't want to smother him so decided to call it a day. There were a lot of boats out today, I'm glad I got there early. Sandbar was packed and the traffic was steady headed back in. Perfect day to be out on the water and pretty good fishing too. Don't know how to post pics of the fish or I would do it!
Srbenda

Re: St. Marks 4/28

Post by Srbenda »

St Marks reef is a collection of stuff on the bottom, it's actually spread out fairly wide.
Beautiful day to go out!
All photos copyright @saverymill
bbb

St. Marks 4/28

Post by bbb »

Yep. Plenty of room for 40-50 boats the way some people squeeze in.

Boudreux

Post by Boudreux »

Yea it is a lot bigger than I thought. I was just given one set of numbers. Now that I've searched it, there are a bunch of different numbers. I'll get them in the gps and give them another shot
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Boudreux wrote:Yea it is a lot bigger than I thought. I was just given one set of numbers. Now that I've searched it, there are a bunch of different numbers. I'll get them in the gps and give them another shot
Getting a sense for the area with sidescan is a big help, or putting on a mask and going down to check it out. There's 3-4 large areas of bottom relief, and then 30+ more smaller isolated areas of relief.