A week on the Appalach: day 1 4/29

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bobber

A week on the Appalach: day 1 4/29

Post by Bobber »

Out of Shell Island today thru Wed, then out of Ecofina Thur and Friday, with my son.
Today's report: 6 keeper trout and 4 keeper flounder off the west and east flats, using wiffle tails (yes,still in business, Google em). Water temps low 70's, clarity good, very little surface grass, fished 4-6' all day.
Tomorrow going east and shallow for reds, will report results.
You guys have a great fishery up here, I am blessed to be able to enjoy it. I've spent the last 30 years doing most of my inshore fishing out of Everglades City/Chokoloskee so if any members here need some tips for a trip down there, hit me up,glad to help.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: A week on the Appalach: day 1 4/29

Post by silverking »

Nice day. the old stuff often comes back around with good results.

Your home waters are pretty special, too. Have a fun trip. But don't tell everyone down south about our quality fishing. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

This, apparently, is a Wifflelure.

I'll have to try and fish some paddletails along the bottom for flounder, as I have caught 0 this year on the flats.

All photos copyright @saverymill
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Great report. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I may try some of those. Look interesting. Wonder how tough they are?

I recall the old Trout Magic (??) (not the Strike King version) that were a local mold. It had a flat tail and a wicked action on the fall with the tail flapping as it fell. The red and white marble color were deadly on reds and trout. I think the owner of the mold may have been someone named Garrison, but not sure about that. His dad was a builder I believe. This was late 80s through the early 00s. I remember when I lost my last one. Anyone else recall those? Used to buy them at local shops, the one in Eastpoint always had them as did the shops on St. George. I should have bought a semi load! :)
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

You might be thinking of Sureketch Lures and they are still around. Buddy Garrison is the owner and they are locally made and proven effective.

Shields Marina in St. Marks carries a big selection and if I remember correctly Kevin's does as well.

http://www.sureketch.net
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

No. I was confusing who had the molds. That is the guy's son that added on to my clinic, but that is not who made the grub I am talking about.

The grub looked kinda like this-
grubsalt-lg-1000x1000.jpg
But the colors were more mixed, like a marble look. They had white with red, pink and chartreuse, but they were more marbled looking than the classic look. Pretty sure they were called Trout Magic.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
wjmax64

Post by wjmax64 »

Evil Eye Tackle Company maybe?? I still have several packages of their paddle tail grubbs.
Bobber

Post by Bobber »

Day 2, St Marks: short report. Headed east into more chop than expected, with a third person joining us on a 15' microskiff we got no further than Rock Gardens but still had 7 keeper trout and 1 flounder with the expected number of shorts in 5 hours. Dirtier water and more floating grass until we got to RG. Pearl white wiffle tails continued to rule,out fishing gulp mullets and without the catfish bycatch or the deep swallowed baits by the tiny trout that gulps suffer from.Over to Ecofina tomorrow to hopefully get on some reds.