Keaton Beach 5/05-5/10

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ddb

Keaton Beach 5/05-5/10

Post by ddb »

Fished from the 5th to the 10th with Bil Gburek from PA and a few other folks that joined us for a few days. Fishing was good, with periods of excellence. We picked up a number of nice trout to 24" and several nice reds to 29". Our best trout bite came toward late in the trip the mornings of the 9th and 10th on the falling tide in 3.5' of water. We were throwing a number of things, but had some very good luck on the 3.5” FishBites Fight Club Fight’n Shrimp in Beat Down color that were given to me by Pat McGriff of One More Cast Charters out of Keaton. Pat reminded me to give them a try, so I pulled them out and picked up a couple of nice 23" trout on the 2nd and 4th cast with that bait. It may never happen again, but it happened once :) . We also caught fish on some of the sea shad variety of the Fight Clubs and Bil had good success with the trout tricks sexy mullet. We picked up a number of reds on red fish magic spinner baits with dark plastics. Water temps stayed pretty steady all week from 77 to 81. It was a great trip.
Last edited by ddb on May 13th, 2019, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Keaton Beach 5/05-5/10

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

That’s outstanding!! Sounds like an awesome trip. Never heard of those baits. What they look like? See any scallops around yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Nice catch ddb
H&M I talked to FWC biologist , she said St Joe and St Mark will have decent scallop season from what they are seeing the hatchlings .
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Fish bites are an competitor to Gulp, which seem to work well and last longer than Gulp does, or at least are tougher.
All photos copyright @saverymill
ddb

Post by ddb »

Edited to make the pics a bit more manageable :)
Yes, it was a great trip. I think the FishBites have been around for a while, but new to me:
https://fishbites.com/fishbites-fight-club-ffc/

As indicated, they are an infused scent bait, but seam more durable than gulp, and perhaps a bit less expensive. I didn't look much for scallops, but Peng indicated he saw a good crop.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

ddb wrote:Edited to make the pics a bit more manageable :)
Yes, it was a great trip. I think the FishBites have been around for a while, but new to me:
https://fishbites.com/fishbites-fight-club-ffc/

As indicated, they are an infused scent bait, but seam more durable than gulp, and perhaps a bit less expensive. I didn't look much for scallops, but Peng indicated he saw a good crop.
. I’ve used fish bites strips before. Peng go swimming?

ddb

Post by ddb »

No swimming, he just looks at the grass a lot closer than i do.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

ddb wrote:No swimming, he just looks at the grass a lot closer than i do.
. Ok thanks