St Marks Inshore 7-14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

St Marks Inshore 7-14

Post by Srbenda »

Got on the water fairly early, and felt the wind was blowing higher than was forecasted ( as usual ) .

However, once in the bay I saw some nice bait blow ups on the surface, and it seemed to be a mix of ladyfish and bluefish chasing the glass minnows.
Hooked and lost several fish, and landed several as well, I enjoy always catching the big ladyfish.

After that we began to work for trout on the west flats. Water visibility was pretty terrible, somewhere less than 3'. Water temps were nearing 86f- however, we were catching some fish on a variety of baits, but mostly under popping corks.
Lots of floating grass everywhere.
After some time at the sandbar, we headed to the east flats, and I wish I had started there in the morning.

Water visibility was far better, I only was in about 8' of water, and we could see the bottom clearly- We made a few drifts and picked up more short trout, and then had a bunch of baits hammered by some blue runners. We kept a pinfish or a blue runner out under a cork the entire time we were on the water, and had no shark attacks, or anything else for that matter. The heavy grass made it difficult to keep the bait free swimming, which probably contributed to some of our failure.

Not a bad day on the water, temps were in the mid 80's, and no afternoon thunderstorms made it less stressful.
All photos copyright @saverymill
doomtrpr_z71

Re: St Marks Inshore 7-14

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

For all of their nastiness big ladyfish sure can save a trip