Sunday 7/14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishfalcon

Sunday 7/14

Post by fishfalcon »

Fished with my BIL from the kayaks on Sunday morning. Bay boat was in the shop and couldn't get the outboard on the jon boat to crank. Ahh the joys of boat ownership.... We paddled out over the oyster bar but there was not much activity so we kept going to a shallow grass flat. Saturday there were a bunch of birds working over ladyfish schools, but I did not see any of that early on. We drifted the flat with a few bites mostly sailcats and one ladyfish. The wind and tide were moving together so we were drifting pretty fast and doing a lot of paddling. I ended up anchoring on the edge of the flat to take a break and that was the right move. I caught 3 nice trout to 23" in quick succession on small pinfish and had my BIL move next to me. He caught another big sailcat and then got sharked. He paddled up to me to get a new rig and while I was getting that together, I hooked another good trout which I managed to land. He then caught 2 trout that he thought were legal, but he threw back because we already had fish. I was got sharked twice more and then was out of pinfish so I switched to a twitch bait. I saw the fish flash at the bait and miss, so I paused it and then twitched it one more time. He came back and got it so now I am hooked up to a green fish on 6 feet of line in the kayak. After a brief rodeo, I get the solid 19" in the net to finish my limit. The bite died so we started paddling in. We got into a big school of ladies and we caught a bunch of those. We quit and had a late breakfast. We finished the day at Wakulla Springs State Park taking a tour with the kids and looking at alligators and manatees. All in all a great day.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Sunday 7/14

Post by Salty Gator »

That is a great day, thanks for the report
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven