Skunked!

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

Skunked!

Post by Srbenda »

Fished St. Marks on Saturday, despite the forecast of high winds and a small craft advisory.
Headed to the east flats, which had better water clarity than the west flats, and water temps ranged from 78 to 80 during the day. Despite the wind, it was a pretty fishable day, with ample use of the power pole to slow or stop our drift.

We fished water from 4' to 8', across both grassy and sandy bottom, we tried Gulps, both copper and white, live shrimp, cut bait, live pinfish, paddle tails, under corks, and on jigheads. I think the only thing we didn't try was topwater lures.

We caught short trout, lady fish, and lizard fish, but no keepers, and the bite was slow, slow, slow. With the water temps being lower, I really expected a better day on the water!

I'm assuming the next few weeks will continue to lower water temps, and we'll see the flats become more productive.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Re: Skunked!

Post by Redbelly »

No Bueno!
I hope my fishing this week turns out with some luck!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

That hard wind out of the East frequently shuts the bite down. I fished both the East and West flats out of St. Marks on Sunday when the wind laid down a bit and came more out of the NE and did okay. We had several trout up to 19 inches, a couple flounder, a lot of lower slot sized redfish and one bruiser at 31 inches. Once the outgoing tide died around 1:30 or 2:00, the bite stopped and the catfish showed up so we called it a day. :thumbup:

If you see that hard wind out of the East above 10 mph, just stay home and catch up on those chores your wife wants done so you can go again another time.

-Steve Stinson
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Steve Stinson wrote:That hard wind out of the East frequently shuts the bite down. I fished both the East and West flats out of St. Marks on Sunday when the wind laid down a bit and came more out of the NE and did okay. We had several trout up to 19 inches, a couple flounder, a lot of lower slot sized redfish and one bruiser at 31 inches. Once the outgoing tide died around 1:30 or 2:00, the bite stopped and the catfish showed up so we called it a day. :thumbup:

If you see that hard wind out of the East above 10 mph, just stay home and catch up on those chores your wife wants done so you can go again another time.

-Steve Stinson
I probably hit the bay around noon, so I timed it perfectly for failure.
All photos copyright @saverymill
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

That sounds like one of my trips! :lol: :lol: I don't like fishing an east wind, I heard it is associated with fronts coming through :roll:
Yours in the South
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Wind out of the east, fish bite the least....
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

It was fine out of shell point early!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

We did pretty well on Saturday also
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Better days on the horizon, if and when autumn does finally arrive. That said, I was running to my first spot yesterday watching as a gorgeous fireball of a sun crept over the horizon.

The temperature reading on my Garmin was 77-79 degrees. Rocky's Lowrance was about three degrees warmer. I did see 64-66 on the truck thermometer driving in the pre-dawn hours Sunday. With the decreasing light levels and cooler temps at night, it won't be long now. Once the hunters get in the woods, the coast will be really nice and quiet--until the opening of duck season.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

eightwt wrote:Wind out of the east, fish bite the least....
See, I try and be more optimistic with my sayings...

"Wind out of the East, you're gonna catch a beast"

#MAXPOW!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Flyfisher86

Post by Flyfisher86 »

I did ok on the west flats Sunday. Hit the water right before 7.New penny gulp shad on a jig with a slow retrieve and live shrimp bounced off the bottom while drifting were the only real producers.