Apalachee Bae

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

Apalachee Bae

Post by Srbenda »

We spent the afternoon on the water, enjoying a stiff breeze out of the south, far different than the predicted 6mph. We'd hoped to go offshore, but the wind combined with an early morning storm offshore created a tight 1' to 2' chop, which was doable to plow through, but miserable on the drift.

Back in the bay we picked up trout in the 5' to 6' range of water on some drifts between some channels, and then headed into some shallower water because the wind was just pushing us too fast.

We drifted for awhile in the flats, and then managed to find a good spot to put the Power Pole down and catch some trout. We went through a LOT of shorts, but it was a fun afternoon with trout, sailcats, ladyfish and sharks.

We fished live shrimp, gulps, swimbaits, and pinfish under a cork, and all worked pretty well.

I was hoping for some bluefish for the smoker, but we didn't manage to tangle with any, although we did see some small schools of bait.

Water temps have pushed up since last weekend, and we saw 83 to 84 during the afternoon.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Apalachee Bae

Post by Salty Gator »

Not sure what wind app you use, but what I was looking at was predicting windy conditions all weekend, with a little relief in the afternoon. Windy as forecasted has been by far the best predictor. Even the tropical storms show up on the wind forecast days before noaa or nws has anything. Noaa is a waste of time, windy.com is ok. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sorry, I meant Windfinder was ok, not windy.com. Windfinder used to be my go to,,, but now it is windy as forecasted( windy.com). I always look at both, but windy has been much better lately. Windfinder and noaa are usually more optimistic, and we all know how that goes.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

I use two apps:

FishWeather, which shows wind speed and direction by hour as well as the NOAA marine forecast, and Myradar, which shows expected windspeed and direction by the day.
I'll also use windfinder some as well for predictions.
All photos copyright @saverymill
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Windy.com is the way to go. Noaa is a waste of time.

If you stay at the coast like I do (lucky) you will see that Windy is far superior to any other site for predicting the wind at a given time/location. It's rock-solid a day ahead and often pretty accurate 3 or 4 days out.

I check Windy for the forecast, then Windfinder "Bald Point Station" for a real-time reading, then check the radar, then go or no go.

Btw......Noaa had 10 to 15 for Friday thru Monday.

Friday.....beautiful all day.
Saturday......east wind at 15 plus til afternoon.
Sunday.....east wind at 20 plus most of the day
Monday......Beautiful again. (since I had to work) lol
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton