Flats reports???

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FlyrodC

Re: Flats reports???

Post by FlyrodC »

I worked all day but got out about 6 PM to find the water glass like. Went to the edge of the SP grass flat and threw a Gurgler fly. First cast was a good indicator of what was to come as the Ladyfish were slashing and slamming the fly. Only fished from about 6:15-7:15 and didn't get any of the target fish but had a ton of action as they tried to tear up the surface fly. Wish they were a tad bigger but a great way to spend a few hours. Need some bait for my crab trap but wasn't going to keep a Ladyfish for that particular job.

Dead calm this AM. Back out soon.
Red Beard

Flats reports???

Post by Red Beard »

FlyrodC wrote:I worked all day but got out about 6 PM to find the water glass like. Went to the edge of the SP grass flat and threw a Gurgler fly. First cast was a good indicator of what was to come as the Ladyfish were slashing and slamming the fly. Only fished from about 6:15-7:15 and didn't get any of the target fish but had a ton of action as they tried to tear up the surface fly. Wish they were a tad bigger but a great way to spend a few hours. Need some bait for my crab trap but wasn't going to keep a Ladyfish for that particular job.

Dead calm this AM. Back out soon.
Nice

Any day you get back safe, is a good day on the water in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Fished today from about 1 to 430. Had a better bite than yesterday, but still pretty slow, it was pretty windy until about 3, when it pushed up to around 15, and once the rain hit, we were done

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Left Tally with George in passenger seat, 615a
Launched at 730a, Lighthouse, overcast, 0.5 low tide
Headed East, slowly worked into a few cricks
Got dumped on.
Caught some fish
Got hit with a Cat3 rainstorm
Cleared up and we back to lighthouse to pick up Jeff
1130a, Headed back east... Cat1 rainstorm
Caught more fish,
Cat 2 rainstorm, 40mph Zoomies to avoid total soak,
Failed. Drenched again.
Headed back to river, hitting the rainstorm slolom
Parked on a bar, explored.
Got on rock island, explored.
Ramp and home, Hobbit wings otw.
End.

Half a dozen reds to 30", topwater and spoons
Two dozen trout to 21", topwater, soft, susp, spoon

One of the most fun days on the water in a while Image

Sent from the KetchupPacket
Last edited by FishWithChris on April 18th, 2020, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

That’s what I’m talking about.

redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

We went out this afternoon from 2-6 and my daughter caught one of the biggest remoras I've seen right by the lighthouse. We went a little deeper to avoid a storm and caught a kingfish in 20 ft water. Didn't know they went that shallow.
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
Red Beard

Flats reports???

Post by Red Beard »

redcodefsu wrote:We went out this afternoon from 2-6 and my daughter caught one of the biggest remoras I've seen right by the lighthouse. We went a little deeper to avoid a storm and caught a kingfish in 20 ft water. Didn't know they went that shallow.
That’s awesome. You just never know what you can get.

southern-gent

Post by southern-gent »

Red Beard wrote:Image

That’s what I’m talking about.

Easy with the gifs, some folks dont take to kindly to that round these parts
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

The gif's indicate there is not much to add to the forum except pictures :lol:
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Fished today, starting around 10 with heavy clouds, a stiff breeze and air temps at 67. The clouds finally cleared after an hour and the sun was welcome, and the breeze was schizophrenic, it would go from non-existent to 15+ and back in a few minutes. Water temps were 74 to 75.

Fished the west flats and caught plenty of trout and a few sharks. Sent a nice 21" back into the water to breed and kept 3 for the box.

Worked a variety of baits, shrimp, Gulp, and paddle tails. Went back by Paddys Island in about 2.5' of water hoping for some redfish, and only saw some porpoises chasing mullet almost to the shoreline.

Saw some boats out, but it was fairly quiet for a nice Sunday.

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

The porpoises have been smashing that area lately. I watched them come from every direction last week and feed for hours it felt like. But it wasn’t mullet that day looked like menhaden.

FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Got out yesterday afternoon with Rainman and BigPhishie on the Packet. Made it to the Fort by 5pm and throttled down. Why not the lighthouse? Saves 25minutes running through the river than driving... and coming back at night isn't bad when there is no traffic. I did have to maneuver around the LargeMarge the Barge on the way out.

Got to our zone, attacking some mixed media bottom... some quality BumpaBurger slams out there. All artificial.

Dozen Reds to 25" (fattties) , trout to 21.5", black drum to 20", a small seabass and one pissed-off blue. (Also, smooth puffer... ugh)

Back to the ramp at dark. Quality Monday afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

FishWithChris wrote:Got out yesterday afternoon with Rainman and BigPhishie on the Packet. Made it to the Fort by 5pm and throttled down. Why not the lighthouse? Saves 25minutes running through the river than driving... and coming back at night isn't bad when there is no traffic. I did have to maneuver around the LargeMarge the Barge on the way out.

Got to our zone, attacking some mixed media bottom... some quality BumpaBurger slams out there. All artificial.

Dozen Reds to 25" (fattties) , trout to 21.5", black drum to 20", a small seabass and one pissed-off blue. (Also, smooth puffer... ugh)

Back to the ramp at dark. Quality Monday afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Maximum efficiency fishing.

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Nice job guys. I am glad you were able to put Bigphishy on some, I know it's been a while since he caught anything. :wink:
bead

Post by bead »

Left the fort yest around 10am, made it to the flats. Really windy despite the forecast, lots of boats! Got two fat speckled, lost two at the boat. Lots of smalls, a couple of sharks and the dreaded cat's. All in all, perfect, trout dinner and getting out of the house! Brand new G3 before the virus struck, had only been out once. It was a great day.