Dog Island Reef May 17th

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JohnnyB

Dog Island Reef May 17th

Post by JohnnyB »

My wife and I left Lanark which was VERY crowded and ran to the Dog Island Reef about 2 hrs before high tide, hopefully to catch some Spanish. The water a little murky and there was a lot of floating grass. The grass made trolling a challenge! Finally after catching several blue fish and NO Spanish trolling, we drifted casting gulps on jig heads. We caught trout, all 14 3/4" it seemed. Remora, blue fish, hard tails, pinfish, a small cobia and a fish I did not recognize.

It looked like a porgy, and had relatively large golden spots on its sides. the fins had a blueish tint. Have never caught this species before in fishing the salty pond for 65 years!! Any idea what it was?

All and All, it was a fun day on the water!!
wacissaguy

Re: Dog Island Reef May 17th

Post by wacissaguy »

Sounds like it may have been a filefish,was it relatively flat/thin?
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Could be a smooth pufferfish that didn't bloat himself out.
akasephiroth

Post by akasephiroth »

Image is this the fish?
JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

Yes that’s the one! What is it?
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945