Grey Mare Like I have never seen it...

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Grey Mare Like I have never seen it...

Post by mjsigns »

After breakfast at Savannah's with my daughter, we Put in at the lighthouse sometime after Sir Reel. The winds were whipping out of the North at 15-20 and the tide was falling. Made it out of the LH pool and decided to try for some sheepies at the wreck. While setting up the approach to anchor on the wreck, my trademark Tilley hat blew off my head. We chased it down with the boat and accidentally ran over it, and the hat went under water. Circled the area several times waiting for it (or pieces of it) to float to the surface. (This hat was made to float) Between the 15-20mph winds and the 2' chop combined with a strong out-going tide made it impossible to see the hat if it did float to the surface. The hat was last seen headed south toward the bird rack around 8 this morning (3/4/2006)

Freezing and damp I dropped a line beside the wreck. Not even a nibble. Within 15 minutes, we pulled away from the wreck and headed East to some of my spots near Grey Mare. The 2' chop and north wind made for a constant shower of saltwater, especially down the port side. It was soo bad we stopped and put on the rain suits, and continued our journey east. The rain suits really helped keep us comfortable and warm. Set up two long drifts. Threw everything in the tackle box and used the drift sock to boot. Knada ting, knada bite, nibble or nutin. I can report the water visibility was excellent. Me and daughter wanted to explore grey mare. I had never seen it on a good low tide...
Western view
Victory at Grey Mare

View facing East

Exiting view facing north-

We decided to have a picnic on Grey Mare, so I toted all the drinks and food :lick: up on the rock and we sat near the Survey Marker and ate lunch and marveled at the rocks all around the area.

After lunch 12-1 we headed west to the "ocean hole" and made a two more long drifts. Shelley fell asleep and was out of it for an hour or so. Spotted a huge Alligator Gar and a stingray, but no bait-fish or trouts. Called it a day at 3:30, made one last try at the steamer them it was home. Think I spotted Sir Reel on the way back in. I can share the pain too....

(BTW)
If you found a Tilley hat (tan color) 3/4/2006 that is a size 7 1/4" please pm or email me. Ask around if you know anyone else that was out that way Saturday. The hat has allot if sentimental value to me because it was a gift from my mom 6 years ago. If I don't find it, I'll just have to buy a replacement...

Thanks !
Last edited by mjsigns on March 5th, 2006, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Great report, MJ. :thumbup:

I don't think the fish are really around much, yet.

I'll keep an eye out for your hat.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Ya'll gone tear them rocks up, playin on em like that. :wink: Glad you had a good day with your daughter. :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO

GREY MARE

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

MJ BOY I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE GREY MARE OUT OF THE WATER LIKE THAT IN THE LAST 30 YEARS I HAVE BEEN FISHING THIS AREA, THAT IS SOMETHING. THE WATER LOOKED PRETTY CALM IN THE PICTURES. AT LEAST YA HAD SOME TIME WITH YOUR DAUGHTER. THAT KINDA PUTS A DAMPER ON THE LITTLE ONES DESIRE TO FISH BUT SHE WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT HAVING LUNCH ON TOP OF THE ROCK.
PA
FUTCHCAIRO
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

That white stuff on the rocks is good on your sandwich. It's dried salt.
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

Yea, it really brings out the flavor of tuna sandwiches :D
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

Nice pics MJ. :thumbup:

Sounds like you had a good time.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

JT said-
That white stuff on the rocks is good on your sandwich. It's dried salt.
Not really, it's mostly bird droppings, and the whole area kind of had a "smell" to it.. :smt107

FUTCHCAIRO said...
I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE GREY MARE OUT OF THE WATER LIKE THAT IN THE LAST 30 YEARS I HAVE BEEN FISHING THIS AREA
I knew it was Grey mare by my GPS, but form a distance it looked like some kind of odd sail boat had come to rest against it. I have never seen GM that exposed either. It was fun walking around the area in our water-boots. I am planning a family picnic and snorkeling around there when water temps hit the 80's this summer.

Charles said:
I don't think the fish are really around much, yet.
I'll keep an eye out for your hat

The fish are on their way, and should be here soon. They were right, hind sight is 20/20.... I should have had my name and email address in permanent marker inside, (like the manufacturer suggested) :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: It's still out there somewhere, probably down by the Ecofina by now... Thanks for watching !!

Birddog said-
Ya'll gone tear them rocks up, playin on em like that. Glad you had a good day with your daughter
I'm getting too old to be climbing around on those rocks, but the kids love it. Soon we'll all be tearing up some trout really soon !!! After the terrible morning ride we had on the way to GM, I am glad she still enjoys going out with me on the water.
:-D
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

:o Thats a mess of rock.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Sounds like yall had fun. :thumbup: :beer: :beer:
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

sorry to hear about your hat
however, tilley will replace it, its part of their guarantee.
i have one
GO GATORS!!
If it does not meet your standards, Lower your standards!!