snakes...

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

snakes...

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I don't like them, but I still try to kill only the poisonous ones. Sometimes I still get a bit trigger happy when they're near my feet or house.

The three below look pretty different, but I believe all were moccasins. Will ya'll help me confirm please.

In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Re: snakes...

Post by RCS »

You got it...all moccasins.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

thanks. Any idea on why the various color patterns?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

2 good ones and one bad one. Hopefully the bad one was about to get the shovel treatment. They are all moccasins. Color variation is natural from nearly black to almost like a rattlesnake.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

He has some trauma behind his head as well.

He was actually laying against the deck of my pool. Both dogs had walked within couple feet of him, and I saw his head up and mouth open as I walked passed.
All within the last 3 weeks...
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Coloration varies from snake to snake, but usually the larger and older they get, the more their patterns fade. When they're born, they all have a pretty vivid pattern and the tips of their tails are yellow. Could be wrong but I'm betting the 3rd snake was the smallest of the 3? Snakes don't bother me a bit (I actually like them), but I'll go out of my way to kill a moccasin.
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Park this address in your favorites list: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl ... tification
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

All three are moccasins. As I see they were all on your property, dispatching them is understandable. Protection of you and yours from an actual known threat is priority one!

Indiscriminately killing snakes is ignorant. One of my biggest peeves. We all live in Florida- everyone should educate themselves to identify snakes as we all have to live with them. They are a fact of life here. They're a valuable part of the same ecosystem that the animals we hunt and fish for are and deserve the same respect.
Jmho.

Ill get off my soap box now...
2true

Post by 2true »

Yikes....
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Older darker and also they are at their brightest after shedding their skin.

I'm sorry, I may be ignorant, but after seeing what a moccasin did to a buddy's leg and what both moccasins and rattlesnakes can do to dogs, I am more Biblical in my approach. I attempt to arrange a meeting with their maker.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

kikstand454 wrote:All three are moccasins. As I see they were all on your property, dispatching them is understandable. Protection of you and yours from an actual known threat is priority one!

Indiscriminately killing snakes is ignorant. One of my biggest peeves. We all live in Florida- everyone should educate themselves to identify snakes as we all have to live with them. They are a fact of life here. They're a valuable part of the same ecosystem that the animals we hunt and fish for are and deserve the same respect.
Jmho.

Totally get it. You can tell by signature I'm not about random killing. However, I do have very cherished chocolate lab, and it is not in any snake's, human's, animal's or thing's best interest to threaten him. He survived my divorce, protects my things at all times and provides unconditional friendship. All poisonous snakes in the yard die.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

SHOWBOAT wrote:
kikstand454 wrote:All three are moccasins. As I see they were all on your property, dispatching them is understandable. Protection of you and yours from an actual known threat is priority one!

Jmho.

Totally get it. You can tell by signature I'm not about random killing. However, I do have very cherished chocolate lab, and it is not in any snake's, human's, animal's or thing's best interest to threaten him. He survived my divorce, protects my things at all times and provides unconditional friendship. All poisonous snakes in the yard die.
Acknowledged. And totally understood.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Indiscriminately killing snakes However, is ignorant. One of my biggest peeves. Killing all snakes regardless of threat is wrong on so many levels. We all live in Florida- everyone should educate themselves to identify snakes as we all have to live with them. They are a fact of life here. They're a valuable part of the same ecosystem that the animals we hunt and fish for are and deserve the same respect.
Jmho.

I edited my original post to clear up some confusion I think.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Just killed a big rattler in the front yard "11 rattles and a button" :o That's the first one I've seen in the yard since the neigbors dog was took out by one about 5 years ago :smt012 "he went for the snake because my daughter was about 10 foot from it" :thumbup: The cats tend to keep them run off from here :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Number 1 and number 2 are the ones I like. Looks like they got a good lick on the head! Number 3 needs to join that crowd.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP