Fish Cleaning Station

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SS-342
Site Sponsor

Fish Cleaning Station

Post by SS-342 »

We are building a barn or a Country Kitchen. We'll have boat storage and a kitchen.

Does anyone have an inside fish cleaning station they like and would share your plans?

Thanks!
Last edited by SS-342 on July 28th, 2014, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Fish Cleaning Statrion

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I prefer to do all of my fish cleaning outside. I can't imagine how bad that funk would linger inside. I'm very interested to hear your plan though. I bet cleaning them in the a/c would be a nice change from my tailgate and the garden hose!
Team Jolly Mon
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Fish Cleaning Station

Post by SS-342 »

F R Pirate, I've also done that all my life. The time has come to have a little air/heat and get out of the bugs. Scaling fish might be an outside job but to flay and skin a fish wouldn't be to nasty.

Just thought someone had one built they enjoyed and would share their idea.

Thanks for your comment.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

SS saw a brief video on this place recently, they will do all sorts of things with King Starboard material so they would last forever. Great if you are interested in purchasing but also just some good ideas to look at. The "build your own top" looks like a good way to get a nice top without buying the legs/frame. I think they will build just about anything you want...

Personally I would want a sink that drained to a septic tank or dug in plastic 55 gallon drum set in a bunch of rock etc. to keep the stink down. Currently I just use one of those 4' plastic top tables with the legs that will let it adjust up so I'm not hunched over so bad.

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/build-you ... -table-top
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Keep a LOT of vinegar available. Vinegar, if liberally applied, is great to cut fish slime and neutralize the fish smell. I also us a little in my water where I put my cleaned fish to cut the slime and clean the meat. The only inside cleaning stations I've seen were at fish markets. They seemed to use either fiberglass counters or stainless steel. Starboard is expensive, but it is the cat's meow.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!