Sooooo can you find the snake?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

timeout

Re: Sooooo can you find the snake?

Post by timeout »

Very nice indeed
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Great pics. Professional photographer?
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

I've seen a good deal of Sarracenia minor in the Osceola National Forest during turkey season. And I know that Appalachicola has at least three different pitcher plants, to include the Sarracenia flava variety. They're really neat plants for sure.

Thanks y'all again

guthooked- no, I'm not a professional photographer. I do use a camera a lot during the course of my work (forensic scientist) but it is merely a tool that I use, not THE tool I use like a photographer would use. The macro stuff I am getting better at (like a good number of these photos). I have a ways to go I think with things other than macro (since I use that a lot more at work than I do any other type of photography), but it is fun to work on those things. Always something new to learn.....
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Great pics OP! Beautiful detail.

Futchcairo- FWC would love to hear about you killing a world record length timber rattler.
Make sure to point out that you killed it even though it was no immediate danger to you. They love that.
Have a great day!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:ALMOST STEPPED ON A CAIN BREAK RATTLER, GLAD IT WAS COLD, HIS STRIKE FELL SHORT BY ABOUT 2 FT., I NAILED HIM ON THE FIRST SHOT, RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES. THAT WAS A BIG RATTLER, HE WAS 6FT 4 IN. LONG, HAD 9 RATTLERS. THREW HIM IN THE POND AND IN A MATTER OF A FEW MINUTES THE TURTLES WERE WORKING HIM OVER... PA. SEMPER FI
kikstand454 wrote:Futchcairo- FWC would love to hear about you killing a world record length timber rattler.
Make sure to point out that you killed it even though it was no immediate danger to you.
Ok, first things kirkstand, guessing you may have been joking with the post? If so please ignore what follows... but if not, having a strike made at you from 2 feet away poses no immediate danger? :smt017 Should add I kill very few snakes myself, love handling nonpoisonous ones / NEVER kill them, killing only the rare true viper that enters my yard close enough to threaten my 3 dogs and 6 year old daughter. I take pictures of those poisonous ones not a threat to me and much appreciate their beauty & purpose in nature's scheme. All that shared, with the sacrifices PA's made for every single one of us on this board who enjoy our freedoms I say he can kill the snakes he darn well pleases and I won't say a word to him about it, and for those who will recall his post I would pay money to see him firebomb some armadillos. ;-) Don't know what I'm talking about, here's a few links:

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... 0&p=223720
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =5&t=27213
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... 23&t=35880
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

I appreciate PA and everything he has done and everything he does for this forum. He's a breath of fresh air everytime I come on here.....which isn't that much admittedly the last two years or so.
So....hey.... its a free country, its not ILLEGAL for him to kill the timber rattler in this part of the country.....so. ..... there's that. More power to him.

That being said- the inference of my post was this. If it WAS a timber rattler, than it was a world record ( 72 inches currently....pa's would've been 76"). So, asuuming he identified it correctly, it seems a shame to have killed it.
Furthermore.....yes...... his life was NOT in danger. His story says the snake came up two feet SHORT of hitting him. Well, that means that even with a 2/3 striking distance of a rattler ( not a timber.....which is more like 1/2- but lets pretend its an eastern diamond back for arguments sake) then that means the snake was 6ft away. Now..... I don't know how well you know rattlesnakes, but they don't strike for fun. And they don't miss often. So lets give PA the benifit of the doubt and say he was actually alot closer to taking a hit than he thinks....and put the snake at 5 feet.

He could've taken any large step in any direction other than towards the snake and been 100% out of any danger. He was 99% out of danger to begin with because it had apparently struck and missed by quite a margin ( a third of its body length).

So.... yes..... unless this snake was in the immediate vacinity of his home, then I PERSONALLY feel there was no need to kill this snake. And I will shake his hand and look him right in the eye and tell him so.

*shrug*
I wrote the post tounge in cheek because, if PA were to have accidentally mis- identified his world record timber rattler, then that would make it an eastern diamond back.... which FWC tends to frown upon as I believe they are on the "species of concern" list and not far from "threatened " status. It was kind of a " maybe we shouldn't post that on the internet " kind of thing.

Also.....PA's account of the armadillos was one of the funniest things I have ever read .....anywhere. I'm glad you re-linked it. I haven't read it in a while!
Steve Sutton

Post by Steve Sutton »

???
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

edited....Nice pics :thumbup: :thumbup:
Last edited by Gulf Coast on April 2nd, 2015, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

^?

cool. I didn't realize being 40 still made me a snot nosed brat. Lol. I feel all young and stuff......thanks!

Sorry if I ruffled some feathers. Everyone has something that bothers them- killing snakes for no reason is mine. Its an oppinion. I gave it.

I assume Pa commented and erased it.... I didn't see it.

I'm sorry if I offended you personaly PA- that wasnt my intention at all. I didn't agree with what you did- life goes on. People do things we all dont agree with every day. Neither of us will cry about it tomorrow.

Sorry to hijack your post OP- it really is some beautiful photagraphy!