Big green egg users

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Big green egg users

Post by Steve Stinson »

Jim -
I stir the charcoal remnants of my previous cooking around in the bottom of my grill causing the ash to fall through the holes in the bottom grate. Then I scoop out the larger pieces and put them in the starter chimney and fill the rest with new charcoal.
Every 4 or 5 cooking sessions, I clean the ash out through the bottom vent using a shop-vac. You have to clean both the center and around each edge. (The bottom of the grill is double walled because of the way it is built and the ash will accumulate between the walls).

- Steve
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll give both a try.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I am a believer. I did my third test fire today, but I used enough charcoal. It's been pegged at 275 for 11 hours so far. I only barely touched it twice all day(at lunch and after work). I couldn't have ever pulled that off on the webber. Steve, the shop vac trick is great, thank you all so much, it has really helped :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

RedMann wrote:I continue to have a problem when I load the egg full of charcoal. The first time I use it after loading, it seems to do fine but after that it doesn't seem draw in air very well and I have a hard time getting a decent cooking temperature. I think the bottom portion that holds the charcoal gets clogged with ash and small bits of charcoal and I end up having to empty all of the charcoal and ash and start again with a refill. Any thoughts about what I am doing wrong? I was thinking maybe I was overloading with charcoal but others here are saying that they loads theirs up. (Apologies if this is a derail.)
There are holes just above the grate in the fire ring - make sure they are not clogged and the holes in the grates are not clogged....after several long burns you need to take the fire ring out and clean around it. I have slow cooked for almost 24 hours - fill to the top of the fire ring.

Accessories that I have are plate setter, bluetooth thermometer for long cooks and a digital thermometer for grilling.

Also use some lowes pavers to elevate the grill grate for high temp/general grilling.

As was already said learn about burping....if you expect it - it is not a problem - if not you can drop the lid, etc....I burp five times and then lift from 450 to 600....works for me.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks Chalk, why do you elevate the grill grate for grilling? I do like it elevated( when using the convEGGtor) , cause it seems a little easier to flip food w the grate flush w the top of the bottom part of the egg.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Some of the guys on BGE forum don't even use a plate setter and just elevate the grate up higher for longer smokes. I use it to keep things like burgers, chicken and my hands from getting burning off when grilling at a higher temps :lol:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks neckmoe, OTT, Mr B, ctb, ebryant,Steve, spayed and chalk. I really appreciate all of the help. It really shortened the learning curve. Since I got it I've done 3 or 4 test fires at different temps. I've cooked ribs, burgers, wings, steak and pizza. So all ranges of temps. I'm so impressed with the responsiveness of the egg compared to the webber. The temp is so easy to move up and down and peg out at your target temp. I was able to peg it at 275 for 14 hours with only 2 small adjustments. Truly blown away. Thanks again for all of the help, looking forward to doing a butt or brisket this weekend :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Need to try a trussed or whole chicken - unreal how good the chicken turns out.

Should look into reverse sear steaks - I will never cook a steak another way. Pain to take plate setter out hot but the end result is worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk