Jumping Sturgeon Kills Little Girl on Suwannee

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Jumping Sturgeon Kills Little Girl on Suwannee

Post by reelhandy »

http://www.suwanneedemocrat.com/news/fw ... dfd51.html

Very Sad. I know they come up the local rivers too so be aware, although I have no idea of how something like this could be prevented.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Jumping Sturgeon Kills Little Girl on Suwannee

Post by MudDucker »

Very very sad.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

We occasionally Jetski on the Suwannee. That is one of my biggest fears. I have had them jump out less than 10 feet from me. It is kinda like walking outside in a thunderstorm. If you are lucky, you live, BUT that one time you are not.... :o

They are really bad around Manatee Springs and toward the gulf from there.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

I've never seen one around here...much less see them jump.

Anybody seen them jump, or catch them in our rivers?

I have a bud that lives on the Choctawhatchee in the panhandle.
When I told him I wanted to bring my boat over there and run the river, he told me to forget about it in the summer due to jumping sturgeon.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE SEEN THEM ON THE SWANEE, MY SCOUT TROOP MADE A 50 MILE FLOAT TRIP DOWN THE SWANEE ABOUT 50 YRS. AGO, THE BOYS BUILT A RAFT AND WE WERE GONNA FLOAT DOWN TO THE MOUTH OF THE RIVER, IT WAS ABOUT 50 MILES FROM WHERE WE PUT IN, WE SAW A FEW ON THE TRIP. MOST OF THE ONES WE SAW WERE AROUND MAYO. ALSO SAW A FEW RATTLERS SWIMMING ACROSS THE RIVER, THAT WAS A SIGHT TO SEE, A RATTLER ABOUT 5 FT. LONG SWIMMING WITH HIS RATTLERS STICKING STRAIGHT UP IN THE AIR TO KEEP THEM OUT OF THE WATER. WE HAD ONE THAT TRIED TO BOARD ONE OF THE RAFTS AND LUCKY WE HAD A LITTLE 22 RIFLE ON EACH OF THE RAFTS , THE SENIOR SCOUT LEADER TOOK CARE OF THE RATTLER BEFORE HE COULD GET ON BOARD THE RAFT.
IT IS A SHAME THAT BOYS TODAY DO NOT GET A CHANCE TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT, I DOUBT THAT YOUNG BOYS TODAY WOULD KNOW WHERE TO START TO BUILD A RAFT THAT WOULD HOLD 25 BOYS AND A LEADER.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I've seen them jump on kayak / canoe trips down the Suwannee. They seem to jump a lot like a tarpon (not hooked). Sort of more straight up than moving quickly forward like a kingfish. The only way I could see the impact becoming severe enough to kill somebody is if they were moving at a pretty good speed in a boat.

PA - IN MY YEARS OF SURVEYING AND FISHING IN FLORIDA, I'VE SEEN SEVERAL SWIMMING RATTLESNAKES. THEY LOOK PRETTY ODD BECAUSE THEY FLOAT SO HIGH IN THE WATER - AS IF SOMEBODY BLEW THEM UP LIKE BALLOON. IF YOU CROSS IN FRONT OF THEM WHILE THEY ARE SWIMMING, THEY WILL MOST ALWAYS TRY TO CLIMB ABOARD WHATEVER YOU ARE IN. I DON'T THINK THEY REALLY CARE FOR THE WATER THAT MUCH.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
JPVERN

Post by JPVERN »

While I understand and respect nature, this is not like a random shark attack (as they are known predators).
I'm thinking with the frequency of injuries occurring from the Sturgeon something needs to be done about them.
I'm sure this will cause an uproar, but maybe they should start being managed by catch and keep, or atleast removal and relocation.
I used to fish the Savannah river in Augusta river and would occasionally see them caught or just random jumping. I only had one close encounter when I tossed an anchor out near the bank for catfishing and spooked one. It was about a 3 footer and scared me when it jumped, but luckily in the opposite direction.
I seriously think they need to take some kind of action to stop what is happening. It's going to come down to the fish or the pleasure time ending in that area.
Just my thoughts. I know I would never kayak there with that much of a chance at being injured by one.
Whether it be with weapon or with wits, an armed man defeats an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.
SO MOTE IT BE
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

JPVERN wrote:While I understand and respect nature, this is not like a random shark attack (as they are known predators).
I'm thinking with the frequency of injuries occurring from the Sturgeon something needs to be done about them.
I'm sure this will cause an uproar, but maybe they should start being managed by catch and keep, or atleast removal and relocation.
I used to fish the Savannah river in Augusta river and would occasionally see them caught or just random jumping. I only had one close encounter when I tossed an anchor out near the bank for catfishing and spooked one. It was about a 3 footer and scared me when it jumped, but luckily in the opposite direction.
I seriously think they need to take some kind of action to stop what is happening. It's going to come down to the fish or the pleasure time ending in that area.
Just my thoughts. I know I would never kayak there with that much of a chance at being injured by one.
I'd bet my last dollar they would make the entire river a no wake zone before they start removing 100 year old fish
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

if you have good sense you will only go at idle speed from mayo thur yellow jacket area especially and around Hart springs to Fanning springs
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

JIm Smith wrote:if you have good sense you will only go at idle speed from mayo thur yellow jacket area especially and around Hart springs to Fanning springs
I think you are giving th general public too much credit
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven