And on it goes...First annual "Mullet Summit"

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Mister Mullet

And on it goes...First annual "Mullet Summit"

Post by Mister Mullet »

Mullet Summit in Wakulla County
The first annual "Mullet Summit" will be from 8 a.m. to noon on August 4 at Tallahassee Community College's Wakulla county campus, 2932 Crawfordville Highway.
The event is sponsored by the Wet Net Mullet Fishing Society and intended to educate the public about the importance of the fishery. Presentations will be made by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the Wakulla Economic Development Council, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, and state commercial net-fishing interests. Topics will include water quality, the health of the fishery and the use of drones in commercial fishing.
The event is free, but those who wish to eat a mullet and grits lunch at noon must RSVP to Jeff Tilley at jefftilley@jefftilley.com or call (850) 508-9465
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: And on it goes...

Post by wevans »

Sounds like a great learning experience for a lot of folks. I'm sure you will skip it, since you already know everything about the subject :smt012 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: And on it goes...First annual "Mullet Summit"

Post by DixieReb »

Not sure I like the use of drones. Commercial guys almost wiped out redfish in the 80's using spotter planes to find schools. Mullet jumping and schooling has always indicated good places to fish, I'd hate for them to get wiped out.
Yours in the South
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

I have always felt in the middle on many of these issues. I'd just like to ask if this might be the government trying to help them by utilizing drone support or just allowing such. I too remember the planes spotting redfish schools for the trawlers to decimate.
If something like drone use is OK then I see the industry being controlled by "big money" who can afford such. Just thinking out loud I guess!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

According to FWC, spotter planes are prohibited in commercial fishing, but not drones...yet. They are looking into the situation and will get back to me. Most likely the law prohibiting planes will be modified to include drones. Otherwise, inshore schooling fish like pompano, mullet and anything else that can legally be harvested will be at risk. Hopefully the wheels of government will turn swiftly.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Yeah, because a drone is just a small plane. Same potential to ruin a good fishery using underhanded methods.
Yours in the South
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I wouldn't worry about drones too much, they're technically illegal for this use any way since they'd be considered commercial. Plus they don't have that great of airtime anyway. But they would be a cheap scouting tool.