Hunting on State Parks?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Hunting on State Parks?

Post by bman »

Carl Hiaasen, wrote a very condemning piece about the possibility of hunting, logging and cattle grazing on state park land.
http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn- ... 60777.html
I enjoy his fiction but this sounded over the line to me.

My thought is public lands belong to all of us - Hunters, Fishermen, Bird watchers, and even the loggers and cattle men. This article is so politically biased that its hard to find the truth. He paints a charged picture of a tuber at Ichetucknee Springs dogging falling trees and bullets. I think that is unfair and highly improbable. Also, some of the most beautiful properties I've ever been on allow Logging, Grazing and Hunting. Go look at Tall Timbers or any plantation in our area. The question is about implementation. Hunting seems to be the most polarizing of all of the suggestions. It is important to manage deer populations on any large track of land. Even Killearn Lakes HOA is encouraging people to take deer within the subdivision because populations are too high.
The article is simply on side of a complex issue about public lands being used by the public.

What do the rest of you think?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Capt Ron

Re: Hunting on State Parks?

Post by Capt Ron »

I like his fiction, but his political views are too far to the left for me.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

It's legal to shoot at deer in a suburban residential neighborhood?

Awesome! And I'll tell my high schoolers who live in Killearn to wear blaze orange on their morning runs.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

The truth is that we hunter/fisherman through our licenses, fees and equipment taxes pump the most money into government acquisition and upkeep of parks and lands outside of the urban setting. As usual, this is just another liberal mouthing off about how others should pay for his pleasure.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bman

Post by bman »

GaryDroze wrote:It's legal to shoot at deer in a suburban residential neighborhood?

Awesome! And I'll tell my high schoolers who live in Killearn to wear blaze orange on their morning runs.
Yes- In any neighborhood in the county if the C&Rs allow it.
In Killearn Lakes with a bow during season... they suggest you tell the neighbors before you hunt.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

bman wrote:
GaryDroze wrote:It's legal to shoot at deer in a suburban residential neighborhood?

Yes- In any neighborhood in the county if the C&Rs allow it.
In Killearn Lakes with a bow during season... they suggest you tell the neighbors before you hunt.
I can only imagine the tizzy someone in Killearn will go into if they see you dragging a deer out to the road. :o :lol:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WHAT MUDDRUCKER SAID x2
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
flogator

Post by flogator »

This opposition is BS. Hunters/fisherman are better land stewards than the general public,. When land is purchased by the state it is removed from the local tax rolls. Guess who pays more taxes to make up for the smaller tax base. The state has always limited access to state properties. case in point. Faver Dykes state park is over 5000 acres has camp sites for 20 - 30 campers. boat ramp that only small boats can use. This has not changed in the past 30 years yet the state population has gone up up up. Hunting seasons on some WMA are limited to a select few and seasons are very short. this is like bike trails built with tax payers money and bikers riding beside them on highways