Centerfire rifle with no recoil

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Mister Mullet

Centerfire rifle with no recoil

Post by Mister Mullet »

Here's the situation. Due to medical restrictions I can no longer shoot shoulder-fired weapons that have significant recoil. No shotguns, no rifles. So, my question is, do any of you know of a rifle with little or no kick? I'm thinking a semiauto in 223. Probably a heavy, wooden gun. Anybody have experience with a mini-14 in 223?
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Centerfire rifle with no recoil

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Ar15 would be your cheapest bet and have a little less recoil than a mini14.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Plinking, target shooting or hunting something with the something somewhat controlling the round. Deer size a .223 using a good game bullet will be fine. You can buy a decent AR cheaper than a mini14 and have a better all around platform, if you want heavier go with a bull barrel and a 20" - 24" barrel with rifle length gas system vs. the popular 16" carbines, by the time you add a scope you'll likely be 9# plus. You can buy a Magpul 10 round mag and a -5 limiter to make it legal for game in FL. You may see a .223 Wylde chambering sort of a merger between .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO. Also one of the PAST type recoil pads that come in a shoulder pocket harness would help. You could also consider an AR15 pistol with a brace if it is a shoulder issue.

By the way ARs are fun to "build" so you could always buy or build a lower and then add different uppers depending on use, it gets a bit addictive, sort of like adult Legos. Check out http://www.AR15.com for lots of info and ideas.

My eye Dr hasn't cleared me for my normal deer rifle so I've been shooting 22LR and .223/5.56 the past year.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I started my kids off with a .243 due to the low recoil. Much of the recoil will be due to the weight and set up of the gun. One of the AR-15's I have is lighter and kicks more than the .243 that I have.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I had to give up my long guns for medical reasons about 30 years ago.
So, I do my shooting now with hand guns & crossbow. Also had to relearn the sports I played, do them left handed.
I 've missed the kick of my 30-30 but such is life!
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

AR-15 is probably best best. You could throw a muzzle brake on the end to further reduce recoil, just don't shoot it near anyone without ear protection. .223/5.56 for target, or even get a .22 upper for plinking, then add in a .300blk upper for deer. Rifle length gas system will be less harsh recoil than medium, carbine, or pistol. The more weight you can add, will reduce the recoil, but you also have to haul that much more weight to the range/stand.

here is a link to a 5 round AR magazine.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/593609 ... dTodayLink
850-273-8818
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I have a really nice 6mm rem made by Jarrett rifles that has a really nice heavy wood stock on it, it's about like a 243, but this thing has no recoil. if you're interested, PM for some details.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

[quote="MudDucker"]I started my kids off with a .243 due to the low recoil. Much of the recoil will be due to the weight and set up of the gun. One of the AR-15's I have is lighter and kicks more than the .243 that I have.[/quote

I'd believe it, especially a 16" carbine with a light profile barrel. Weight is always your friend when it comes to recoil but one of the other factors can be the shape of the stock, if you look at the Mini14 it has a stock with a pretty good amount of drop at the comb, the more drop is involved typically the more perceived recoil as the barrel is wanting to rotate because the stock is below the axis of the bore. Most AR stocks are essentially a straight comb due to the design of the receiver extension or buffer tube. I have a Mini14 Ranch rifle and my perception is for a given load the Mini14 has more recoil as compared to either my bolt action or my AR. I rarely shoot the Mini14 anymore, mine has always functioned fine but a lot of people complain about the newer Mini14s functioning and level of accuracy compared to an AR.

Another factor to consider is ARs might be real scarce and pricey depending on what happens in November, I've yet to talk to anyone who will admit to supporting HRC but I know they are out there. AR prices are about as low as they have ever been but I've noticed availability is starting to dry up some for parts, uppers and especially lowers. Complete basic carbines still seem to be readily available in the $500 - $600 range.
2008 Yamaha 150
wacissaguy

Post by wacissaguy »

The 243 will be a better choice for all around hunting in FL,GA.There is no appreciable kick-started my son with it-and he was very recoil shy-the 243 proved to be perfect.The bullet weight is also something to consider-100 grains verse a 55-70 grain in a 223.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm that table list s recoil values for major calibers, a 62gr 223 has 33‰ less recoil than a 95gr 243. An ar15 will have even less due to the gas operation, even an over gassed ar 15 should have less.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

A savage axis .223 w accutrigger. Would be a fine shooting gun that you could shoot a lot. Image. And these are an excellent cartridge for deer. We kill a lot of deer with a .222 shooting Barnes bullets. Image. Image. Image. A few examples and the rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

I have a cousin who started hunting with a .22-250. Center fire cartridge, very fast and very flat shooting. He killed several deer with it. Might want to really check this out. It's smaller than the .223.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Sun Daze wrote:I have a cousin who started hunting with a .22-250. Center fire cartridge, very fast and very flat shooting. He killed several deer with it. Might want to really check this out. It's smaller than the .223.
A 22-250 fires the same caliber bullet as a .223 (.224") at a higher velocity (about 400 - 500 fps) so it would have more recoil with everything else being equal. I suspect the 22-250 ammo is more expensive than a .223 round based on popularity of ARs alone and availability of cheaper 223 FMJ practice ammo is a plus.

Also ARs are commonly found in a much faster twist barrel i.e. 1:7 - 1:8 that would stabilize a heavier bullet than are the 22-250s as they are typically used as a varmint round using lighter projectiles not heavier. Of course going to a heavier bullet in the AR would increase recoil but for a different shooter it gies some add'l options.
2008 Yamaha 150
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

I had a mini in 223, read up on them, they eat anything but are known for accuracy issues, mainly associated with "barrel whip". A barrel strut will help but you will never get the accuracy like u do with an AR. Mini's also have horrible triggers.
You could always look into a 243, 7mm-08 or something along those lines. A high quality butt pad, hvy rifle and a break will all help with recoil. The break is nice, but bring extra hearing peotection. You could always get someone to build you some light load to help also. If your stuck on .22 caliber, check into a 22-250 or something besides the 223.
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Should have read everybody else's posts, I agree with the 22-250 over the 223. We shoot primarily 22-250 for hogs, we shoot alot of them and rarely do they ever make it out of our hay fields.