Getting Miffed!

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Getting Miffed!

Post by MudDucker »

Went to my nearbout Lanark place yesterday. Knew the water would be too low to get out until around 1 (turned out to be closer to 3). Back in the summer I had a certain marine repair place in Carrabelle replace the tank in my boat and in so doing, they relocated my batteries and rewired my boat. The guy bragged about fixing what was such a mess under my console (for a wiring system that had given me NO problems). First trip out, had butt splices come loose under the console and the GPS/Sounder mount was on backwards. Fixed those, called the place and he said he would come look at the boat to check all connections. To my knowledge, that didn't happen. Ran the boat a couple of times and replaced one of the batteries. Put it up with the battery switch on off after last trip. Put the boat on charge Friday night as I usually do and just decided to check to make sure it would crank before heading to the ramp yesterday and no joy. Checked it and found that the main positive terminal to one of the batteries was not crimped and it just fell out when touched. Ran to Carrabelle and got a new end from the Ace Hdwre and that fixed the issue, but not until it was too late to fish and get home last night. I am going to give this guy a call next week and give him one more chance to redeem himself. If he don't, I am gonna publish the name of the business, because I don't want folks to get possibly stranded by such poor workmanship in the future.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Getting Miffed!

Post by fishinfool »

I am sorry that happened to you Ducker. It is always such a disappointment when things like that occur.
I am surprised to hear there are crimped butt splices in your electrical system, especially if the "technician" knows you are going to use the boat in a salt environment. I would think he would insist on soldering all the connections. It might be worth mentioning prior to his next re-repair.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

DANG, M.D. I WOULD BE GETTIN ME SOME HEAD SKIN WITH A 2X4 ANYBODY DID ME LIKE THAT. CAN NOT USE MY FIST ANYMORE, HAVE TO COMPENSATE WITH A 2X4
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I re-did the electrical connections on my 2 boats, I used those plastic solderless connectors and a lot of electrical tape over the ends and I haven't had any problems so far. Sorry about your trouble, sounds like the guy didn't know what he was doing. I hope he didn't go into your engine! :roll:
Yours in the South
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

When I did my own rigging, I always soldered everything for salt water. There are some new connectors that are good when solderless, but they should be heat shrink wrapped to make sure they are water tight. These connections and the way they are done just plain suck.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!