Grilled sailcat is damn fine

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Grilled sailcat is damn fine

Post by GaryDroze »

On Stoney Bayou today...

Had tough going early on, so I kept a 4lb sailcat for insurance. Finally got into the trout, and picked up two keeper largemouth bass on the way back in the sweetwater pools. Grilled the whole bunch of them this evening. Using olive oil/worcestershire sauce/minced garlic as 15 minute marinade, then piling them all onto foil for the grill, I gotta say the sailcat fillets held their own.

BTW...Years ago I tried same recipe with hardhead saltwater catfiish - the kind we mostly catch - and the result was...BARF CITY. In saltwater, all catfish are not the same!
bbb

Re: Grilled sailcat is damn fine

Post by bbb »

We fried Sailcat, Trout and Reds one night, put them on 3 separate plates and did not tell the wives what was what. The Sailcat was the first to be eaten.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

They are what they eat and they feed right in there with the "sport fish"
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

SAIL CATS ARE GREAT TO EAT WHEN PREPARED RIGHT, JUST HATE TO GET EVERYTHING SLAIMMY GETTIN THEM HOME, HAVE TO WASH THE COOLER ABOUT 4 TIMES TO GET THE SLIME OUT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

A porcupine might taste as good as a ribeye but I'm not bringing one home! :-D
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'm with you PA. They make too big a mess. I've threatened to save and cook and try one but I never have. They may be great but there are just too many other fish I know are edible. Seems like every time I stop to fish diving birds, I get into a school of sail cats... Fun to catch but snotty!
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

flatsbroke22 wrote:A porcupine might taste as good as a ribeye but I'm not bringing one home! :-D
And sewer rat might taste like pumpkin f...ing pie, but I wouldn't know cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mf'er.. :lol:

I read somewhere that they were fished commercially in Texas. Always heard they weren't bad, now we know, as long as you don't mind some slime. :D Glad you tried it Gary, I wasn't going to be the first one in that pool.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven