Tiger shark at Ecofina

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Tiger shark at Ecofina

Post by Redbelly »

Yesterday! A FB friend posted a pic he took of what he said was a 8-9' Tiger Shark! It is a clear pic and you can definitely see it's a Tiger! :o

Go Scalloping!! :lol:

I am still trying to get the pic saved, having trouble.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Tiger shark at Ecofina

Post by Salty Gator »

I saw a 5-6’ tiger around Keaton 3 weeks ago. Beautiful fish. Water was gin clear and there was no doubt. If tigers really wanted to eat people, there would be no scalloping
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Saw one off the Wakulla Reef a few years ago that made my 20-foot flats boat look tiny. It was definitely an intimidating beast.

Read a previous post on here I believe that the nearshore shallows of Apalachee Bay are a major pupping zone for tigers. Have seen enough that it made me change my mind about going swimming at Ochlockonee Shoal. :o
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

There is a video out of spear fishermen encountering a great white shark SW of St George's Island. I've seen lots of Tigers and Hammers that made chills run up my spine, but I've never seen a GW in the flesh.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I had one 7-8 ft long come right up to the boat several years ago. During slack tide between Gray Mare and Cobb Rocks.. Made my 20' boat seem kinda small too.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

No fences in the ocean.

I'll take my chances.. Those suckers are curious around boats but poke one with something and they act like scarred little squirrels with big teeth.

Of the 10's or 100's of thousand swimmers that frequent the water every year and the amount of bites.. Better not go outside while its cloudy either or you'll get popped by lightning.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Had a 14 footer ease on by my boat at rotary a few years ago...I think several folks saw her prowling around that year.
When i first looked down and saw her....my very first thought was...submarine!
Around that time several divers on BBF chimed in that if you really want to catch them, go diving where you fish to see the layout.
I was actually considering this on that day...haven't considered it since.
She was trailed by 5-7 cobia and and we managed to land two over 33.
What a beautiful animal!

woop
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Its almost scallop season, it was just scouting the area... :o
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

We've seen them everywhere from 80 miles out to 800yds from the Lanark channel markers (right in the middle of the scalloping grounds many frequent). The most aggressive shark I've encountered was a 10ish' tiger last summer that wanted the contents of my chum churn bad enough to attack 3 outboards' lower units and the bottom of the boat. Before then, every tiger I had ever seen was loafing around-that shark was cutting across that chum slick and rushing in like a pelagic. Not that I didn't already, but I have WAY more respect for the big tigers than I did prior to witnessing that shark lit up. If you're in the water and one decides you're food...that's pretty much ballgame.
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

I caught two in one day last summer. 6' and 8'. The 8 footer swam away with no issues and we never saw that one again. The little guy copped an attitude and followed us around for an hour. He kept coming up to the back of the boat where I had unhooked him and staring at me. Would not take another bite of chum and would not take bait. Didn't attack the boat or anything, just swam a few circles around us with his dorsal/tail above the water and came to the rear of the boat to stare.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Yeah, they are around and very impressive. IMO and experience, sharks are like any other wild predator. We are not normally on the menu but there is always an exception. So, be smart with them. Bull sharks and tigers are very capable of killing any time.

Saw where recently a cougar killed a cyclist out west. Not normally prey for them, either, but it does happen.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

EddieJoe wrote:Yeah, they are around and very impressive. IMO and experience, sharks are like any other wild predator. We are not normally on the menu but there is always an exception. So, be smart with them. Bull sharks and tigers are very capable of killing any time.

Saw where recently a cougar killed a cyclist out west. Not normally prey for them, either, but it does happen.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A local spear fisherman was killed by one last year diving out of aucilla
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

A Cougar that far off shore :o I've seen them around Cow rock but not that far out ;-)