what to do with Styrofoam coolers?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tailwaters

what to do with Styrofoam coolers?

Post by tailwaters »

I know this is an odd one but I'm looking for a better way to dispose of Styrofoam coolers. The recycle company doesn't want them and the ones I get take up my whole trash can which leaves no room to put anything else in it. BTW I'm not looking to build anything out of them, just a good way to get rid of them.

My wife's company ships her samples every other week. A normal shipment consist of two coolers that are 27" squared. Also have those frozen cold packs coming out my ears. Those fit in the trash fine but if there is a more environmentally friendly way to dispose of them please speak up.

I know this is an odd post but these things have been frustrating me for a couple years now.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: what to do with Styrofoam coolers?

Post by silverking »

TW,
You might check with one of the franchise UPS stores or Mail & Ship. They might be interested for packing material.

When we've gotten packages in the past with the styrofoam peanuts, we've bagged them up and taken them to the UPS stores. They were happy to get them.

Good luck. Better to reuse than have them sit in a landfill for 1,000 years.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Some of those sample coolers dissolve in water
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

silverking wrote:TW,
You might check with one of the franchise UPS stores or Mail & Ship. They might be interested for packing material.

When we've gotten packages in the past with the styrofoam peanuts, we've bagged them up and taken them to the UPS stores. They were happy to get them.

Good luck. Better to reuse than have them sit in a landfill for 1,000 years.
That's a good idea Dave. I will stop by one tomorrow and find out.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:Some of those sample coolers dissolve in water
I wish they did but they don't. Thanks for the thought!
tabb

Post by tabb »

We would use them to store bush hooks. Roll line around tire weight then stick the hook in the styrofoam. Cut down on tangled lines. If they are the thicker coolers I would like to get a few of them.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Pour a little gas on them and before they dissolve, light them up. They make a neat light show.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

MudDucker wrote:Pour a little gas on them and before they dissolve, light them up. They make a neat light show.
Yep, I got in trouble more than once for doing this as a kid! Good times with grandpa's Lo-Boy styrofoam fish coolers! :lol: :beer:
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Dave, good call on taking them to the UPS store. I have one done the street from my house and dropped off a couple this morning. They were happy to take them off my hands!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat