Johnny Morris

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Johnny Morris

Post by silverking »

With a net worth of $3.8 billion, Bass Pro founder Johnny Morris is the 207th richest man in America, according to the The 2019 Forbes 400, generally recognized as the definitive list of wealth in America, profiling and ranking the country's richest billionaires by their estimated net worths.

Morris came in at number 207 on the Forbes List with a net worth of $3.8 billion. Morris, 71, founded Bass Pro Shops in 1972 and has built it up to be one of the world’s largest outdoor retailers.

He is also the owner of the Wonders of Wildlife National Museum and Aquarium, which opened in 2017 at a cost of $290m, and the White River Marine Group, maker of leading boat brands that includes Tracker, Nitro and Tahoe.

In 2017 Bass Pro Shops paid nearly $5 billion to acquire Cabela’s, its biggest rival.
dfddc038-54b5-4b27-9cfe-6efca05b0202_300x250.jpg
dfddc038-54b5-4b27-9cfe-6efca05b0202_300x250.jpg (59.88 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FishWithChris

Re: Johnny Morris

Post by FishWithChris »

Ok

*Edit*. Ok, so... Worth is neat, but what does this have to do with his involvement in the future of fishing ? Is he still an active decision maker or now a minority board member who rakes in the revenue without making the decisions?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Those are valid questions Chris, but I don't know the answers. I was just passing along this abbreviated bit of news. With BPS sponsoring local tournaments and forum members shopping there, I thought it might be of interest.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

silverking wrote:........With BPS sponsoring local tournaments and forum members shopping there, I thought it might be of interest.
This change in direction over the last 5 years is what is saving the BPS brand (along with regular M&A, of course). I'm not sure where it started, but the rapid growth of involvement in local communities has turned the BPS brand into a more favorable light for many folks who enjoy the outdoors. I can't say that specifically for the BPS branded products; however.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I shop there occasionally since it is so close to my house. But the prices are nearly always higher than locally-owned shops and even other big-box stores. The Cabela's clothing quality was superior prior to the merger, IMO. However, there are millions more freshwater anglers than salt and in places like Springfield or Paducah or Nashville, BPS is king.

That said, I have met Johnny on a few occasions and he is a genuinely nice guy who does care about the outdoors. He has contributed quite a bit over the last several decades to conservation causes/the sport and is currently helping fund the Bahamas relief efforts.

From his humble beginnings he has built an business empire and I don't begrudge him his wealth or success. After all, that is still the American dream for many. Would he be able to do the same thing today with the internet and all the competition? Maybe, maybe not.
Hollywood
Site Sponsor

Post by Hollywood »

Chris,
I hate to toot my own horn but .......my 5 year anniversary is in April and I spearhead almost all of the Tallahassee Bass Pro Shops involvement with local events. I have a great team here at the store that support and help me pull off many of the events we participate in.

and Mr. Morris is very much still involved with the direction and vision he has for his company, he is not just a figure head for us.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Chris2, and hopefully the rest of the BPS are as involved as you've brought our location to be!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Image Image Image