Lanark Village Bear Baiter Convicted

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Lanark Village Bear Baiter Convicted

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I must be mis-informed,but was under the impression you have a right to face your accuser in court.
Kirkland said names of citizens who report wildlife offenders can be kept anonymous and informants may be eligible for a rew
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

The accusers didn't cause the arrest!! It was the killing of a Bear, in front of an FWC officer that got him arrested :smt011
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Code: Select all

Both Odom and Strickland were identified as persons of interest due to the cooperation of Franklin County residents. Kirkland said names of citizens who report wildlife offenders can be kept anonymous and informants may be eligible for a reward.

No accusers no arrest.
My point is: if someone accuses me of something illegal they had better have their ass in court with me.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Someone accusses you of something and you are caught red handed doing it, you aint got the right to know anything "other than yer a DA" :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

What a shame. Gene put me onto the local Tarpon fishing scene many years ago. In those early years we were often the only 2 boats fishing. Times have changed and in Gene's case certainly not for the better.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I have not kept up with the case, but my question is, Why did he kill them. To me, there is a big difference between killing for money for pelts and killing them if they were destroying property.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
RalphKramden2011

Post by RalphKramden2011 »

Is it called baiting because of the fish hooks? :o
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

Im not to sure of why this was posted in the nature it was. The article was written because 3 men in Eastpoint were just caught for killing a bear earlier this week. For some reason this thread is focused on Gene?
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Why has this come back up now? As mentioned in the article, this happened back in Oct. of 2010. Yep, Gene messed up killing the bears, but you have to forgive him and move on some time.

I am pretty sure Gene has since moved to South Fl. to be nearer to his grandkids.

- Steve Stinson
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

The article was dated January 25, 2012. That would seem to be a current topic of conversation.

Unless I am mistaken you cannot hold yourself out as a professional fishing guide with no fishing licence and a felony conviction.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
mastercaster

Post by mastercaster »

rockyg wrote:The article was dated January 25, 2012. That would seem to be a current topic of conversation.

Unless I am mistaken you cannot hold yourself out as a professional fishing guide with no fishing licence and a felony conviction.
Can't say I will miss Gene's big ass boat out there for tarpon...
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

I don't know this guy at all. But if he was a guide then he knew the repurcusions of his actions...weighed them.....and chose to blantently break the law.

To answer JT ~ the anon. Citizens are not the accusers in this situation. They are informants.

The accuser would be the state of florida, the district attorney and the florida game and fish commision... based on the eyewitness account of the fwc officer who...if you wanted to put a face to it...would be the actual "accuser" as he is the one that filed the charges.
ritajay

Post by ritajay »

Dear Ron:
1. Know all the facts before attempting to ruin someone's livelihood. The judge had all the facts and didn't judge Gene so harshly and so, why should you!?
2. Gene did not "blatantly break the law". He made a mistake in judgement which he and his family have fretted over and paid for tenfold during the past year.
3. FYI... Gene managed a hunt lease and the hooks were placed as a deterrent to keep the bears from destroying the corn feeders (known by all the deer hunters in the lease, folks), which they had done many times before and costing much in repairs and replacement.
4. The judge did NOT, repeat NOT, convict Gene of a felony and Gene did NOT, repeat NOT, lose his Captain's or fishing license.
5. Bears have been removed from the "threatened species" list in the State of Florida for good reason and, most likely, will soon be legally hunted in Florida as they are in other states.
5. Gene has/is paying his dues to society and this thing is over as it should be. Let us be.
6. To Rocky (if you are the Rocky that I know), please come and talk with me about the ex-FWC officer/informant that we (it is a small community) have overheard bragging that he has slayed many black bears on this same hunting lease. He is now banned from the lease and he is a true criminal here and yet has somehow escaped capture.

Thank you for not posting any more gossip, hearsay and name-bashing remarks.

Rita J. Strickland
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Bears are nothing but a nuisance on St.James Island.
Gene Strickland is a helluva fishing guide.
The only problem I have with him is he likes to fish those green backs for bait.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?