Review of RiverRunner's Carpenter Bee Traps

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Review of RiverRunner's Carpenter Bee Traps

Post by big bend gyrene »

Simply wanted to share they work, and work well! :smt045 :thumbup: :beer:
20140414_193329.jpg
In total have now quickly kept over 60 of the boogers from drilling more holes in my dock.
20140414_195553.jpg
Really has made walking down the dock a much more enjoyable experience too. Know the video I'm sharing is different species (true bumblebees) but honestly about what it felt like trying to get down the "gauntlet" now once again peacefully known as my dock! :wink: :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7K3j1b8cu0[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
bman

Re: Review of RiverRunner's Carpenter Bee Traps

Post by bman »

I bet those suckers would be great bream bait!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Glad I could help you out bud! Thanks for the kind words. :thumbup: :thumbup:
mraquatics

Post by mraquatics »

So do you have to secure these traps to the holes they are already using? Or do you simply hang it near their hive and wait for them to investigate the trap and get stuck?
Michael K
"What does a fish know about the water in which it swims its whole life?"
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I've got several of Riverrunners traps. Plug as many existing holes as you can. Hang it up near the peak and, that's it.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Riverrunner is the man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

As MarkM said. Plug as many holes as you can. The bee's bore the holes to lay larva in them and when those hatch, they return to same hole. So, if they can't find their hole, they will go looking for new ones. It also helps if you have a new trap to swat a bee down with a tennis racket and place it in the bottle. It drives the other ones crazy trying to get to it. I've seen Wasp and dirt daubers get in and not be able to get out also.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

For whatever it's worth, I didn't plug a single hole, nor did I worry too much about exact placement. Have carpenter bees pretty much trying to drill the entire length of the dock so I guesstimated equal spacing of traps down the dock, then just did as RiverRunner has said baiting the traps with a stunned bee or two in each.

DO plan on trying to get under the dock this coming winter and taking care of that part of the equation too so that I have fewer hatching next year. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945