Irma

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Re: Irma

Post by bman »

My biggest fear is it pops out into the gulf.
its days away and keeps coming west.

I'm ready at home and am sending my girls to the In- laws North Carolina.

Pray you all are safe and this is a big over reaction!!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

bman wrote:My biggest fear is it pops out into the gulf. its days away and keeps coming west... Pray you all are safe and this is a big over reaction!!
Agreed, Bman... long as it travels over land for 400 miles just don't see it keeping strength to deliver a punch any harder than Hermine, and detailed time frame models show that to be the case putting it at very low hurricane strength to more moderate tropical storm strength by time it reaches us. Not to mention effects Cuba might have on it, etc.

But it enters the gulf and skirts up offshore that'll be a whole different ball of wax. With you on staying local until at least see what it does between Cuba and Keys. Might try to sneak some bass fishing in between now and time it gets too ugly. :wink: :-D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

More westerly track, including back into the gulf. This is looking really bad folks. I'm headed to Lanark today to do some work and make sure nothing is loose to float around. Stay safe!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Still hasn't shown a significant turn northward yet and thankfully even if only for moment Cuba is weakening it a bit. Today and early tomorrow morning will hopefully provide enough info to make a better informed decision of whether to head for the hills. Current timelines put it around Naples tomorrow, Sunday, at 2pm, with the earliest we'll see tropical winds enter the area later around 8pm Sunday so still just a bit of time to watch / plan.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

It better turn north soon or we will be in trouble. It is going to be devastating wherever it first lands.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Dog Island and Alligator Point are under mandatory evacuation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c4FO1A ... e=youtu.be
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

big bend gyrene wrote:Still hasn't shown a significant turn northward yet and thankfully even if only for moment Cuba is weakening it a bit. Today and early tomorrow morning will hopefully provide enough info to make a better informed decision of whether to head for the hills. Current timelines put it around Naples tomorrow, Sunday, at 2pm, with the earliest we'll see tropical winds enter the area later around 8pm Sunday so still just a bit of time to watch / plan.
Most of my family is in Naples. Stuck around based on the east forecast, I75 is a parking lot so it's too late now. Forcasting 145mph wind gusts at their house.

I have a large trawler in the water at St Marks.. Did I mention i'm new to large boats and tying them down for hurricanes? Crap
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

We used to take my Dad's big boat up the St. Marks river and tie off in one of the big tugboat basin. Lots of long heavy ropes. Used a small boat to carry the lines and ferry the captain off the boat once secure in the middle of the basin.

Don't wait too late. Surge will make it impossible to get to the boat soon. Ask me how I know that. I have waded to "look at" a boat that we intended to "take home" more than once in the last 50 years of having boats in St. MArks.

Good luck and be safe. Things can be replaced.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

So far so good. Hopefully the forecast won't keep changing. Nobody needs what we are about to get.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

What is in your Irma food supplies, mine is cheese crackers, peanut butter, Vienna's, burgers, Bradley's sausage, Bud Lite.( Stay safe )
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

My diet will be whatever I pass hauling ass out of there :lol:
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Questioning whether we should have left. In Mayo, we're fortunate that we have a good generator. Add to that a gas stove. If I can't eat, I'm leaving.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Yall check out Jose :o
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Wind forecast in Riverview FL where my brother lives has decreased from 106 mph to 68. Meanwhile Lamont Fl has risen from 47 mph to 63? :pop_1
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Steve Stinson wrote:Wind forecast in Riverview FL where my brother lives has decreased from 106 mph to 68. Meanwhile Lamont Fl has risen from 47 mph to 63? :pop_1
If I had to guess, it's because she's more over water the more west she moves. This would lead to more consistent speeds over longer distances. Looking at wind projections, I'm led to believe she's not going to be as strain north FL than first thought. But, who knows. I certainly don't.