Cameras

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Pirate

Cameras

Post by Pirate »

Thinking about getting a camera for fishing and off roading. I know Go Pro seems to be the standard. Is that the best option or has anyone had good luck with other options? thanks in advance
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Cameras

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Personally I wouldn't waste the money on a GoPro. They aren't that great of a camera for the money vs the guts inside. I have several and unless you need the remote, just save the money and buy a sjcam GoPro copy from Amazon or eBay. If you do want a higher end one with a remote, GoPro usually has killer deals on the black edition refurbished models from the previous year. The only new GoPro I've had caught fire while charging, but it was covered under warranty.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Thanks
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I have a Gopro Hero 4 that I had to buy to use with my Drone to get full functionality(start/stop/live view) I also have a sony actioncam I bought for $99 and one of those 4k gopro knockoffs.

Save your money and get the knockoff setup unless you "take it to the max" and need to sell your footage/reliable camera. Also keep in mind most people enjoy playback on 1080p devices nowdays and while 4k is nice I can't watch it on half my devices so I have to edit/upload to watch it across all of them.

Check slickdeals.com for action cameras.. I got mine for like $50 and the gopro was 6x that.. Not even close to being 6x better(or twice as good for that matter).
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Thanks, Sold
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

the sjcams have been recommended by several people. If I will use it for fishing and 4-wheeling does anybody have an opinion on a certain model?
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I have the original sjcam mini
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

I ordered a SJ6 Legend. It probably will serve my purpose. Thanks for the input.