Eye protection (shades)

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Eye protection (shades)

Post by Salty Gator »

FishWithChris wrote:I've been using RCI Optics (click the logo in below for the site) for quite a few years now and they exceed all of my expectations on-and-off the water. I've worn Costas, good glasses, but just not my gig.

I have a couple pairs here in Tallahassee if you want to try the fit (Mosquito Lagoon & Monster Hole 2.0's)

Their sunrise gold mirror lens is absolutely incredible for our inshore waters
Those look good. The ir reduction certainly makes sense. I’d give them a try
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
STMU

Post by STMU »

AugustusMccrae wrote:
Are there any Smith dealers in the area? I've got a melon and need to try a some on. And thank you all for the comments.
Sunglass World at the mall in Tallahassee has a lot of them. It say's on the Smith Optics site that Academy, Dicks and Tallahassee Trail & Ski carry them now too, although I doubt they would have the selection as Sunglass World if you're trying to find a pair that fits comfortably.

https://www.smithoptics.com/us/dealer-locator
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I use Smith's as well. No complaints.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I own 5 pairs of costas. Until recently, I had always opted for the poly, but two years ago decided to dive into the glass lenses. Had issues with the frames and lenses, so I returned. Lenses had some distortion. They decided the issues were due to use, not defect and charged me $140 plus shipping and handling to replace after 2 months. The most they had charged in the past was $45. I opted for replacement, but won't do that again. When I need some more, i'll be looking at the Smiths line. Definitely not the company they used to be.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'm pretty sure Costa's are made in China and other places overseas and they're only assembled in Daytona Beach. Their "lifetime" warranty usually includes a small replacement charge of $15 or $20. Which is probably more than the glasses cost in the first place. I think they are an overpriced rip off. That being said, I have three pair of Costa Harpoons. :-D
I'll be trying these next:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Guess I'm one of the few Costa fan boys left. :wink:

I've tried other brands--Maui, Keanon, RCI. But I still like my Costas best.

Like others have said, try on different styles and brands to see what you like. Important thing is to get a quality pair that fits well, protects your eyes again harmful UV rays, flying objects (hooks, weights) and offers good vision into the water.

That said, Juan's suggestion are probably the most expensive option of all. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

https://vimeo.com/259911938[/video]

(you need to have flash enabled for the video)

Otherwise, click link here for details on RCI Optics H780 IR Blocking Technology lenses
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Dang Chris. That's pretty stinkin' impressive.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:Guess I'm one of the few Costa fan boys left. :wink:

I've tried other brands--Maui, Keanon, RCI. But I still like my Costas best.

Like others have said, try on different styles and brands to see what you like. Important thing is to get a quality pair that fits well, protects your eyes again harmful UV rays, flying objects (hooks, weights) and offers good vision into the water.

That said, Juan's suggestion are probably the most expensive option of all. :lol:
It’s not hat I don’t like them, but they don’t seem to hold up, and the costumer service isn’t what it was when it was a small company that catered to real fishermen. Seems to happen often when companies get big and forget why they got popular in the first place
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I've owned 4 sets of Costa. 3 of the 4 had metal frames and each one had the same issue. The lenses would fall out of them. Each time I would send them back they would say it was my fault. The first one they wanted to charge me $75 and the other two the cost was $140. Forget them. once this last pair dies I switching to a different brand.
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

I've never owned a pair of polarized sunglasses in these leagues that we are discussing. Always worn cheap stuff, but now I believe I understand... I mean heck how can I be Salt Life without a pair of Costa Del Mar's?

sarcasm aside, those smith lenses are looking up my ally.
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:I've never owned a pair of polarized sunglasses in these leagues that we are discussing. Always worn cheap stuff, but now I believe I understand... I mean heck how can I be Salt Life without a pair of Costa Del Mar's?

sarcasm aside, those smith lenses are looking up my ally.
For sight fishing, the benefits of an excellent pair of polarized glasses can’t be over emphasized. I keep a nice pair only for fishing so that they won’t get scratched during every day use. And a not so nice pair for beating around every day with no mirrors lense. But if your not into sight fishing, then it probably doesn’t matter much as long as they are comfortable :beer:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

A quality pair of polarized sunglasses does much more than allow sight-fishing. The most important benefit is advanced coating and protective layers against the harmful UV rays, which are magnified when reflected off the water. UV rays damage the eyes and can lead to eventual impaired vision and blindness. Yes, the polarization cuts the glare to let you to see below the surface to spot fish and see other structure/features. But the real advantage is preserving sight in a relatively hostile environment. Some of the early flats pioneers in the Keys like Jimmie Albright eventually lost their sight because they didn't have proper eye protection.

You can buy cheap, big-box sunglasses to save a few bucks. But you only get one set of eyes. Well worth the price of a good rod or reel to me and I say this as someone who has had a few eye surgeries and spent thousands of hours on the water during my career.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

This thread has been super educational. I was hesitant to start it, but am sure glad I did. Thanks to all for the input.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

silverking wrote:A quality pair of polarized sunglasses does much more than allow sight-fishing. The most important benefit is advanced coating and protective layers against the harmful UV rays, which are magnified when reflected off the water. UV rays damage the eyes and can lead to eventual impaired vision and blindness. Yes, the polarization cuts the glare to let you to see below the surface to spot fish and see other structure/features. But the real advantage is preserving sight in a relatively hostile environment. Some of the early flats pioneers in the Keys like Jimmie Albright eventually lost their sight because they didn't have proper eye protection.

You can buy cheap, big-box sunglasses to save a few bucks. But you only get one set of eyes. Well worth the price of a good rod or reel to me and I say this as someone who has had a few eye surgeries and spent thousands of hours on the water during my career.
This! For years I wore the el cheapo glasses and then I had a talk with my eye doc and he said most of those were inadequate for water use due to reflected and intensified UV on the water. So I looked around and bought my first pair of costas. They were lightweight and seemed to protect my eyes much better than el cheapos. I met one of the top guys in the company at Daytona in a restaurant and he gave me the sales pitch on their quality. Had one arm break off, sent back and for $15 got a new pair within 10 days. So I bought a back up pair and so forth. Good UV protection eye wear can slow down the development of cataracts. I make a living with my eyes and will continue to wear premium sun glasses, just no more costas.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!