Eye protection (shades)

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

AugustusMccrae

Eye protection (shades)

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Considering stepping up to some quality shades. Looking at some Costas. Just curious what you guys like and have had success with. Are there other brands you would suggest. Thank you.
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Eye protection (shades)

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YA CAN'T BEAT COSTA DELMAR, MY DAUGHTER IS EYE DOCTOR IN MACLINNY , FLA. JUST WEST OF JACKSONVILLE, HER OFFICE IS BAKER COUNTY EYE CARE CENTER . IF YOU ARE IN THAT AREA GO BY AND SHE CAN MAKE THE COSTA WITH PRESCRIPTION CUT IN FOR TYING THOSE SMALL LURES.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Have been wearing Costas for nearly 30 years. Excellent polarization and protection against UV rays. Don't go outside without a pair on. Recently sent back a pair that was 20 years old and they gave me a code to order a replacement pair on-line for a modest charge. Well worth it to me.

Copper or amber lenses for inshore fishing to cut the glare and spot fish. Gray lenses for offshore. The green or blue coatings are for style and to reduce glare further. They are an added layer over the copper, gray, etc.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:YA CAN'T BEAT COSTA DELMAR, MY DAUGHTER IS EYE DOCTOR IN MACLINNY , FLA. JUST WEST OF JACKSONVILLE, HER OFFICE IS BAKER COUNTY EYE CARE CENTER . IF YOU ARE IN THAT AREA GO BY AND SHE CAN MAKE THE COSTA WITH PRESCRIPTION CUT IN FOR TYING THOSE SMALL LURES.
PA
SEMPER FI
Thank you for the info. Currently I don't have to wear prescription (although that might just be because I've never been checked). I figure as long as I can see horns I'm good, right? :D
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

silverking wrote:Have been wearing Costas for nearly 30 years. Excellent polarization and protection against UV rays. Don't go outside without a pair on. Recently sent back a pair that was 20 years old and they gave me a code to order a replacement pair on-line for a modest charge. Well worth it to me.

Copper or amber lenses for inshore fishing to cut the glare and spot fish. Gray lenses for offshore. The green or blue coatings are for style and to reduce glare further. They are an added layer over the copper, gray, etc.
Do you prefer plastic or glass lenses? I know the glass is a bit heavier in both weight and on the wallet.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I own both types. The glass are heavier but more scratch resistant and have better visual acuity. The poly lenses are super light and unless you swap out pairs, it's hard to tell a major difference. The poly will scratch easier. If you're careful though and keep them in the case when not in use, that's not a major problem.

I carry a micro-fiber cloth in my tackle bag on the boat. It will clean glasses (and display screens) of any spray without scratching. Throw 'em in the washer after a couple trips and they are good to go again.

If you're shopping for Costas, the 580 is the premier glass lenses. The poly are the 400 series.

Kevin's in Tallahassee often has sales on Costas and some of the optical shops that are dealers will as well. You can also find good prices on discontinued styles on eBay. It's always better to try them on first though, to see how they fit and cover your face. The wider temples help block side light, which hampers the ability to see into the depths.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I’ve owned a bunch of costas. Currently waiting on a repair. Their costumer service is a shell of what it was when only fishermen knew about Costa Del Mar. unlike Capt Dave I’ve been unhappy with my last few claims. The rubber that put on frames seems to fall off the frame in less than 2 years. Had 2 pair that came off in less than 2 years. I said I wouldn’t buy another pair( even though the 580 copper lense makes redfish and cobia absolutely stand out), but had to when I lost a pair and needed an instant replacement. If Costa charges me for this fix then I will be going with Smith optics moving forward
Last edited by Salty Gator on March 21st, 2018, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Just got off the phone with Costa. They have had my glasses for 3 weeks. No call, no email so I called them. After a lengthy hold I got someone. They had incorrectly entered my email address, so if I didn’t call I’d have never heard from them even though they had my phone number. They said the lenses were delaminating and the rubber came off the frames. Both of which they considered manufacturers defects. They will charge me $15 as a warranty processing fee. They will send a new pair in 10 business days. So no glasses for over a month, manufactures defect in glasses a little over a year old and a $15 fee to process the warranty. Those glasses were around $250. I’ll be giving smith a try going forward. And don’t get me wrong, those lenses are awesome for sight fishing reds, but their customer service isn’t what it used to be, maybe they spoiled me back in the day. Good luck with whatever you decide
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I find Costas to be overrated, my preference is solarbats or Oakley. The solarbat mossback gradient is hard to beat inshore but I do like the Oakley maritime lens as well. Glass lens have no impact resistance, I'd rather have scratches than a shattered lens, especially if a sinker hits them.
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

Just do what I suggest and you will see the deference in a good pair and really good pair of shades. I have used Maui's for years and didnt think I would find another pair of glasses that made colors pop like them and I was right :smt004, I have a big brain so my head is on the large side and that is why I tried the Costa's that's one of Maui's problems is they need some with a little bigger fit :thumbdown: I got a new style from Costa ( Gulf Shore) Green tint Copper 580 I really like the way they fit and the glass is good BUT not as good as Maui's in my opinion. I'll add one more plus for the Costa's there lens clean up easier if you have every owned a pair of Maui's you know what I'm talking about when you try to clean them they seem to streak.. Go to Kevins or SGO and try the two side by side out side on a bright or cloudy day and I think I know which one you'll pick.
STMU

Post by STMU »

I agree with Salty Gator. Had Smith, switched to Costa's, and now back to Smiths.

I broke my first pair of Smiths by stepping on them. Dumb move! At that time, Smiths didn't have big saltwater presence, and I bought my previous pair while living out west fishing for steelhead and salmon. I couldn't find Smith's easily in FL and a friend of mine was a Costa's dealer. He offered me a pair of Jose's for half price, and I couldn't pass the deal up. Loved the lenses, but kept having the rubber nose guard come off, and one lens kept popping out. In two years, I sent the glasses in 3 times, and they spent more time in their shop then on my head. A 2 to 3-month repair shop turn around for a pair of glasses is crazy! I got my transmission rebuilt last year, and it only took them 3 days! One time I asked Costa's why it is taking so long, and they suggested if I couldn't wait I go buy a second pair, Ha! I shouldn't have to have 2 expensive pairs just because one is always in the shop!

I now have Smiths again. Been using the same pair for 4 years without any problems. I should have never switched. Great product! Can't comment on Smith's customer service because I've never had an issue!
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

STMU wrote:I agree with Salty Gator. Had Smith, switched to Costa's, and now back to Smiths.

I broke my first pair of Smiths by stepping on them. Dumb move! At that time, Smiths didn't have big saltwater presence, and I bought my previous pair while living out west fishing for steelhead and salmon. I couldn't find Smith's easily in FL and a friend of mine was a Costa's dealer. He offered me a pair of Jose's for half price, and I couldn't pass the deal up. Loved the lenses, but kept having the rubber nose guard come off, and one lens kept popping out. In two years, I sent the glasses in 3 times, and they spent more time in their shop then on my head. A 2 to 3-month repair shop turn around for a pair of glasses is crazy! I got my transmission rebuilt last year, and it only took them 3 days! One time I asked Costa's why it is taking so long, and they suggested if I couldn't wait I go buy a second pair, Ha! I shouldn't have to have 2 expensive pairs just because one is always in the shop!

I now have Smiths again. Been using the same pair for 4 years without any problems. I should have never switched. Great product! Can't comment on Smith's customer service because I've never had an issue!
Are there any Smith dealers in the area? I've got a melon and need to try a some on. And thank you all for the comments.
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

AugustusMccrae wrote:
STMU wrote:I agree with Salty Gator. Had Smith, switched to Costa's, and now back to Smiths.

Are there any Smith dealers in the area? I've got a melon and need to try a some on. And thank you all for the comments.
Another one with a bigger melon here. I also use Smith's and love them. The Costa's that I used in the past tend to pinch behind my ear and give me headache's. I'm sure they have other styles that wouldn't but after I tried on and used the Smith's i was sold. The other thing i like is the spring hinges they have to go along with the Chromapop lense.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I've been using RCI Optics (click the logo in below for the site) for quite a few years now and they exceed all of my expectations on-and-off the water. I've worn Costas, good glasses, but just not my gig.

I have a couple pairs here in Tallahassee if you want to try the fit (Mosquito Lagoon & Monster Hole 2.0's)

Their sunrise gold mirror lens is absolutely incredible for our inshore waters
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

FishWithChris wrote:I've been using RCI Optics (click the logo in below for the site) for quite a few years now and they exceed all of my expectations on-and-off the water. I've worn Costas, good glasses, but just not my gig.

I have a couple pairs here in Tallahassee if you want to try the fit (Mosquito Lagoon & Monster Hole 2.0's)

Their sunrise gold mirror lens is absolutely incredible for our inshore waters
Thank you for the offer. Don’t imagine I’ll be up there soon but will check out site.