Contractors? windows and bathrooms

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Danibeth

Contractors? windows and bathrooms

Post by Danibeth »

Hey all I am looking to have work done on my house. There are 2 projects that need doing sooner rather than later, though they may be able to be broken up into sections.

1: Windows on my house. I need replacement windows. I don't necessarily need ALL done at the same time but for sure I need my big window replaced since the wind really blows the plastic that I have covering it in and out quite a bit.

2. Bathroom remodel. I need the plumbing fixed on the tub. Ultimately the entire bathroom will be redone but for sure the most desperate thing is the tub/shower. The tub is going to be replaced. The plumbing has to be fixed because the current fixtures are aggravating and leak and I can't find parts for and they're ugly anyway so I'll need new fixtures to meet code and they'll probably need to be moved up a bit for my new tub. The shower surround will come down and tile will go up and new fixtures will be put in. I have a window in the shower and I figure since tile will be going in, it makes sense to have the window replaced at the same time that the shower is worked on.

Depending on pricing for everything, I'm potentially looking at replacing all windows at one time as well as redoing most of the bathroom all at once, redoing just the bathroom and the bathroom window, redoing all of the windows or possibly redoing the one very drafty window and then the tub/shower/plumbing window upgrade. I think those are pretty much my options. Which I choose to start with will likely be determined by what the cost will be for which choice at this point.

This is my first home so I'm new to hiring for big repairs/replacements like this. I do not know if my windows on my house are "stock" windows or not. Can anyone give me any recommendations for contractors that can handle this kind of project? Will plumbing companies install windows in a bathroom remodel? I mean if I were to get quotes just from window companies and just from plumbing companies and I could afford both if two different companies came in vs a single company doing all, will a plumbing contractor install a window? If that makes sense? Any help/advice on that would be greatly appreciated as well as recommendations on companies/people to look at using.

Thanks a lot
Danibeth
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Contractors? windows and bathrooms

Post by silverking »

I'd have Window World come out and give you a quote for redoing the entire house. You may qualify for energy savings rebate through the county or city. The vinyl energy efficient windows are a good mix between cost and energy savings.

For bathrooms, I've had good work done by Jim Bennett Plumbing. Keith Lawson is another good local contractor and I think a site sponsor.

Good luck. Dealing with contractors is not always easy, so when you find good ones keep the numbers handy for future reference.

Unless you hire a general contractor who subs all work out, doubt you'll find a plumber willing to install windows or vice versa, Danibeth. And the the general contractor will probably be more expensive than if you do the sub-contracting yourself.

Sure others will chime in with recommendations, too.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Thanks for the recommendations. Window World is on my list of people to call to get an estimate.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I had a terrible experience with window world. Will never use them again, possible litigation in the future. Hard to pass up theur prices, but they may promise what they can’t deliver and you end up with a “oops my bad”
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I can only tell you who not to hire. :smt010
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Feel free to shoot me a PM. I am open to hearing who to stay away from as well.