Bait in the Carrabelle River

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

Bait in the Carrabelle River

Post by bbb »

Anyone know what kind of bait was flipping in the river Saturday? They were flipping from the mouth to the No Wake zone and my sonar was showing clouds of bait but my 6' cast net yielded NADA.
Water was too dark to see more than a few inches below the surface.
Geno67

Re: Bait in the Carrabelle River

Post by Geno67 »

No idea. I threw a net a few times as well. Nada.

The birds were having a field day though, whatever it was. I figured it was too tiny for me to catch any.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

We were both wondering the same thing. We watched them flip all morning as we strolled down the Riverfront Festival. I was more interested in what was in the river than the festival :roll: .
Yours in the South
Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

LY's You need a really fast sinking net to catch them.
TCSO122

Post by TCSO122 »

Went threw the river Monday and the dolphins were tearing them up whatever is was. Ended up catching bunch of grunts and red snapper off dog island reef. Water was slick as I’ve ever seen it. Went out 20 miles to the tower and saw a mako 18ft flats boat fishing out there. Got kind of choppy coming in I know they took a beating.
BlindHog

Post by BlindHog »

"Alewives", please say "Alewives". Much better than "LYs" -- as in "Oh, izzat thuh real name? I done thought they was sayin LYs !"
Even a Blind Hog finds an acorn now 'n then...
rickc

Post by rickc »

BlindHog wrote:"Alewives", please say "Alewives". Much better than "LYs" -- as in "Oh, izzat thuh real name? I done thought they was sayin LYs !"
yep. they are tiny this time of year. 1/4" mesh net might get them but they are so small all they would be good for is chum.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

BlindHog wrote:"Alewives", please say "Alewives". Much better than "LYs" -- as in "Oh, izzat thuh real name? I done thought they was sayin LYs !"
Menhaden
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

My buddy was calling them greenbacks. I said they were Alewives. We looked it up and the they are different. Do we have greenbacks up here as well?
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

onefishtwofish wrote:My buddy was calling them greenbacks. I said they were Alewives. We looked it up and the they are different. Do we have greenbacks up here as well?
Yes, I’ve heard of threadfins and pilchards called greenbacks. Both are here when it warms up
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

You have Gulf menhaden, thread herring, and pilchards. Different fish but all good bait.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

If you go into any bait store and ask for LY's They know what you are talking about. In the south we sometimes spell like we talk. Got it Buba!
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I’m pretty sure the boxes I bought at Crums were printed as LY’s but I wouldn’t swear to it...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

zload wrote:I’m pretty sure the boxes I bought at Crums were printed as LY’s but I wouldn’t swear to it...
Most likely it did say LY's. You would find it hard to find a local or anyone working in a bait shop that could even spell "Alewives". Sorry folks but that is how it is in Franklin County Florida.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Menhaden, pogy, bunker, LY...all different names for the same fish, in our case the gulf menhaden. For the record, I think an alewife is a different type of baitfish.