ALGAE BLOOM

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

ALGAE BLOOM

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

We went offshore this weekend and found the area we wanted to target was covered up by some sort of algae bloom. We were able to get away from it by running further to the east which I didn't want to do with the afternoon west wind. I see on the FS forum that this is also the case off the central part of the state as well. Did anybody else encounter it ? And what the heck is it ? Thanks.
big bend gyrene

Re: ALGAE BLOOM

Post by big bend gyrene »

Not trying to be a smart@$$ saying this, but might be helpful to at least share what specific port area you left from / generally how far you went out / what depths you ran into the bloom.

With folks who post on the forum sharing reports from quite a variety of area locations, no idea how far out you're talking or whether the Apalachicola, Carrabelle, St. Marks, or even Cedar Key area? Haven't been out yet, so I can't help, but sure will be following... hate years the blooms impact us.
Last edited by big bend gyrene on May 1st, 2018, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Latest FWC report shows a notable bloom is underway around the Ft. Myers and Naples area, though guessing you weren't fishing that far south? Only area I see on the map as showing impacted, but those who follow will appreciate some areas get tested more frequently than others, so sure not saying we indeed may not be having a bloom developing in our area... though sure hope not.

http://myfwc.com/REDTIDESTATUS
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

big bend gyrene wrote:Latest FWC report shows a notable bloom is underway around the Ft. Myers and Naples area, though guessing you weren't fishing that far south? Only area I see on the map as showing impacted, but those who follow will appreciate some areas get tested more frequently than others, so sure not saying we indeed may not be having a bloom developing in our area... though sure hope not.

I don’t think it’s red tide the op is talking about. I believe it’s the snot algae some call gumbo. Here’s a link to the fs discussion

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/disc ... ely#latest
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Off of Wakulla , Jeffereson and Taylor from 25 ft. to at least 35 ft. Got out of it to the east off Taylor in about 40 ft. They are calling it gumbo on FS.
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

big bend gyrene wrote:Latest FWC report shows a notable bloom is underway around the Ft. Myers and Naples area, though guessing you weren't fishing that far south? Only area I see on the map as showing impacted, but those who follow will appreciate some areas get tested more frequently than others, so sure not saying we indeed may not be having a bloom developing in our area... though sure hope not.

Its not developing. Its developed !
big bend gyrene

THOMAS CITY CURVE wrote:

Its not developing. Its developed !
Have run into it a few times in the past... thankfully, remember it more as a tackle nuisance than being linked to miles of dead floating fish everywhere as with true red tide.

Salty Gator (or anybody else), any insight into the actual scientific name of the "snot" algae?
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

THOMAS CITY CURVE wrote:Off of Wakulla , Jeffereson and Taylor from 25 ft. to at least 35 ft. Got out of it to the east off Taylor in about 40 ft. They are calling it gumbo on FS.
It's Jefferson not Jeffereson didn't want someone to think I was High on the forum. LOL !!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I don't know if it's related, but there's a lot of slimey moss growing in close to shore that doesn't seem to want to leave. Makes it very hard to shore or pier fish. Is something going on with the water quality in N. Fl.?
Yours in the South
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

Went to O tower out of Carrabelle on Saturday. Did not see anything like being described.