Navonics

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sea Chaser

Navonics

Post by Sea Chaser »

Curious to know if anyone has purchased the navonics gps card and the thoughts about it. I have put a few nearshore gps numbers in my machine and had limited success grouper fishing. Usually fishing with multiple boats on the spots. We fish out of the st Marks area roughly 4-6 times per year.

Does the card offer gps spots that are not available to the normal search engines on the web?

I don’t mind spending the money but just don’t to waste money for something that is already available for free.

Thanks in advance.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Navonics

Post by Salty Gator »

A navionics card won’t have anything like your looking for. There will be public wrecks and reefs, channel markers and boueys. It’s really more of an advantage for inshore over your factory map.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Sea Chaser

Post by Sea Chaser »

Salty Gator wrote:A navionics card won’t have anything like your looking for. There will be public wrecks and reefs, channel markers and boueys. It’s really more of an advantage for inshore over your factory map.

Thanks salty gator
rickc

Post by rickc »

take a 160 degree heading from the bird rack at st marks and run till you are in 35' of water. start trolling stretch 30's east and west along that depth contour watching your bottom machine for rock piles. when you get a hit mark the spot. when you see a good rock pile stop and drop some live pinfish down on it.

if you continue along that same heading out to 45' there are some really good rock piles there too.

stone crab traps are a dead givaway of good rock piles

won't take long to have a whole notebook of good numbers

now i am a gadget guy but a humminbird sidefinder with a platinum navionics card was invaluable to me. need a big screen on that sidefinder.
Sea Chaser

Post by Sea Chaser »

rickc wrote:take a 160 degree heading from the bird rack at st marks and run till you are in 35' of water. start trolling stretch 30's east and west along that depth contour watching your bottom machine for rock piles. when you get a hit mark the spot. when you see a good rock pile stop and drop some live pinfish down on it.

if you continue along that same heading out to 45' there are some really good rock piles there too.

stone crab traps are a dead givaway of good rock piles

won't take long to have a whole notebook of good numbers

now i am a gadget guy but a humminbird sidefinder with a platinum navionics card was invaluable to me. need a big screen on that sidefinder.

Thanks, I may give it a go on my next trip.
geofish

Post by geofish »

This is incredibly helpful. My charts are showing almost 20 miles from the bird rack at St Marks to a 35 foot depth on a bearing of 160. Does that sound right? That's into federal waters, isn't it? Or am I mis-reading my charts?
george
rickc

Post by rickc »

geofish wrote:This is incredibly helpful. My charts are showing almost 20 miles from the bird rack at St Marks to a 35 foot depth on a bearing of 160. Does that sound right? That's into federal waters, isn't it? Or am I mis-reading my charts?
george
oh yeah federal waters.

now there are places out of st marks within 9 miles. winter is the best time for them. follow the crab traps and watch your bottom machine. dog bollard is one if you can get by the Jewfish. nothing like you can get in the deeper water.