Academey Sports

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelbad

Academey Sports

Post by reelbad »

After reading about the decision to fire their store manager for stopping a low life thief just gives me another reason not to shop there.
leonreno

Re: Academey Sports

Post by leonreno »

Just read the article, that’s a shame. I agree, will buy my good service from another store.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/ ... 772900002/
STMU

Post by STMU »

I witnessed an individual stealing a bunch of GoPro's from West Marine in Stuart FL. Employee tackled the guy, he was arrested by the police and for his services was immediately fired from West Marine. We live in a litigious society where doing the right thing results in the wrong action sometimes. Sad and unfortunate.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

A C A D E M Y
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

I read the story and do not know the complete facts. If this man was doing his job I will not patronize this store for at least 1 year. There are plenty of other stores like this one.
Last edited by homboyfsu on July 13th, 2018, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

This one is a toughie for companies. If an employee gets it wrong, they get sued. Also high risk for employee to get hurt. Myself, if I saw someone stealing a firearm, I would have done the samething. Seems like a staunch warning would be enough, but don't know if this guy had been warned before. Suspect he will get another job where they appreciate heroic acts by employees.

Still can't imagine how this person got a hold of a weapon in the first place. Seems some employee made a mistake to let him have access. Of course, he may have posed as a shopper and then walked off after being handed the gun. Suck!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MudDucker wrote:This one is a toughie for companies. If an employee gets it wrong, they get sued. Also high risk for employee to get hurt. Myself, if I saw someone stealing a firearm, I would have done the samething. Seems like a staunch warning would be enough, but don't know if this guy had been warned before. Suspect he will get another job where they appreciate heroic acts by employees.

Still can't imagine how this person got a hold of a weapon in the first place. Seems some employee made a mistake to let him have access. Of course, he may have posed as a shopper and then walked off after being handed the gun. Suck!
I’m sure you have been to gun stores, you know how it works
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Salty Gator wrote:
MudDucker wrote:This one is a toughie for companies. If an employee gets it wrong, they get sued. Also high risk for employee to get hurt. Myself, if I saw someone stealing a firearm, I would have done the samething. Seems like a staunch warning would be enough, but don't know if this guy had been warned before. Suspect he will get another job where they appreciate heroic acts by employees.

I have and I've seen them refuse to just hand over a weapon as well to shady looking customers. I've had them hold the weapon up and display it instead.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MudDucker wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

I have and I've seen them refuse to just hand over a weapon as well to shady looking customers. I've had them hold the weapon up and display it instead.
I’ve never seen that. I’m sure it isn’t legal not let someone hold a gun over the way he looks. Lawsuit city
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

The big problem is now everyone knows they can ask to see a gun and run out the store with it and no one will try and stop them. Only thing stopping them will be video footage. Don’t know how well that works to catch someone. Seems to me that to allow someone to look and handle a firearm they should ask for and hold on to their drivers license.
Larboy

Post by Larboy »

In an effort to prevent lawsuits and save $$$, Academy Sports has basically let all thugs know we will not stop you from stealing firearms and ammunition from our stores! As a result they are endangering their employees and customers by increasing the odds that thugs and guns will be in play at their stores. They also appear not to care that this philosophy will create more illegal guns on the streets in our community. The manager of this store reacted correctly to this situation and should not have been fired. Academy caved to the almighty $$. I called their corporate headquarters and left a message with this feedback.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Rangerpat
Site Sponsor

Post by Rangerpat »

Glad the manager got his job back, hope they gave the man a raise! :thumbup:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MudDucker wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

I’ve never had someone show me a gun by holding it up. You may want to clean up if the gun store employees won’t let you hold a gun :lol:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Beat me to it. Reports are that they got inundated by angry customers who suggested that a bonus was more in order than a firing.