Carrabelle Boat Poker Run 9/15

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

EddieJoe

Carrabelle Boat Poker Run 9/15

Post by EddieJoe »

Did anyone here participate in this event or know how it went? I had some interest in it but after discussing the rules and procedure with the promoters decided it wasn’t for me.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RiverRunner

Re: Carrabelle Boat Poker Run 9/15

Post by RiverRunner »

Yeah, I participated in it. It was fun! It had a few glitches, but nothing is going to go smoothly on the first try. I think they ended up having 26 entries. I don't know of anyone winning the grand prize. I was the first to enter my hand and it said I didn't win. On the second entry the computer program they were using messed up. SO we had to take pics of our cards laid out on piece of paper with our name and email address on it.

This is how it played out.

We left the dock at 9:00 headed to Dog island, not really knowing where to go. Was told to look for a big American flag flying at each point. So I just headed to the west end first and saw the first flag in the first little cove where the WTB use be. There, we had to "Chip" a golf ball about 15' into a basket to get our first card.

Second stop was this...

Third stop was small obstacle course.

Fourth was corn hole game

Fifth was build a 2 tier sand castle, toss the small ball back and fourth for 20 times without dropping and throw frisbee back and fourth 15 times without dropping.

We were done by 11:00-15. We weren't really sure what to do, so we went back to the dock. We were the first ones back, that was when the computer messed up. Luckily, someone then told us about the poker chip in our goody bag that we got during registration was good for a burger and fries there at the bistro. So we ate, then decided to head back out to hang with some friends on the east end.

Came back in around 5:15 so we could get cleaned up for the "VIP" party. It was pretty fun, not whole lot of people. But a small open bar, some excellent food, live band and good atmosphere. I did win the 50/50 pot, but I kept a small amount and contributed the rest back to them.

I did make some suggestions to them. The checkpoints(stops) went from the west end down to the east end on the north side of the island. At everyone of the spots except for the one on the west end, it was too shallow for most boats to get even 100 yards from shore. Maybe next year they will have more time to scout out some better checkpoints, maybe even hitting a different island or the point.

They also said they are probably going to move it April next year.

EddieJoe

Re: Carrabelle Boat Poker Run 9/15

Post by EddieJoe »

Thanks for the great post. Glad you had fun.

When I talked on the phone to the organizer before the event, I was surprised to hear how they had it planned. Because it was a done deal and I wished the group well, I didn’t really say much except “thanks”. But I knew I wasn’t going to enter.

Poker runs are, of course, common for non-profit groups to hold as fundraisers. But, every one I have seen has the cards generated randomly at each station and then when all cards are collected the best hand wins, plus usually there are several prize levels.

This one was kind of a scam. The “computer” generated a random winning hand and only that match could win anything. There was only one $80,000 value prize, which odds of winning would be about like winning the Florida Lottery, except each entry cost $100. Don’t know what odds would be but I’m guessing the one in many millions range.

IMO, a much better solution would be several guaranteed, but smaller prizes based on highest hand. That is how it is done. Say $250, $100, and $50 and maybe entry for a larger pot chance if they were worried about making money.

No mystery, locked in a safe magically generated combination that no one wins. That’s a scam, to me, even for a good cause.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk