Lesson in Irony

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Lesson in Irony

Post by Blue spinner »

Lesson in Irony
Once in a while we just have to stand back in awe of government.

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever - 46 million people now receive Food Stamps.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Today's paraprosdokian is:
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Re: Lesson in Irony

Post by GaryDroze »

For our next Irony Handout lesson, look up how much in federal farm subsidies last year were lavished on wealthy non-farmers, including many who don't even live in rural areas (hint: it's in the multiple billions of dollars). How can this be? Many of the beneficiaries are our congressfolk who write the rules that determine who gets the freebies. Go USA!
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

If you want to become rich in this country without "working" for it, become a politician.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

GaryDroze wrote:For our next Irony Handout lesson, look up how much in federal farm subsidies last year were lavished on wealthy non-farmers, including many who don't even live in rural areas (hint: it's in the multiple billions of dollars). How can this be? Many of the beneficiaries are our congressfolk who write the rules that determine who gets the freebies. Go USA!
May not perfectly fit your description, Gary, as he's in a rural area and family does some farming... but close enough since most of the time referenced he was ***supposedly*** serving us in Washington.

Quite a "safety net" payment for someone living in Jefferson.... doesn't take nearly that much to survive out Monticello way., at least not for most folks. :roll:

http://rattlernation.blogspot.com/2010/ ... deral.html
Boyd.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. 1.5 million over 21 years averages out to a cozy $73,000 a year. That's both hands out! And many times more than my father made even at the end of his career as an enlisted lifer in the Air Force. I remember our family was on welfare when he made E-8.

Just talked one of my TCC runners out of enlisting in the Navy. Told her to graduate college, become a commissioned officer, make three times as much, and get more respect than you deserve (same advice my dad gave me when I turned 17).
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Most school teachers have trouble making ends meet. Yet as much as I love baseball, our national pastime, Bryce Harper and Manny Machado are expected to sign contracts this off-season for $400 million-plus to play ball. :roll:

Congress could cut welfare and their own salaries and put that money towards teacher compensation and improving benefits for active duty service men and women and health care for veterans. Will it happen? Not likely.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

silverking wrote:Congress could cut welfare and their own salaries and put that money towards teacher compensation and improving benefits for active duty service men and women and health care for veterans. Will it happen? Not likely.
Silverking, I think "not likely" is misleading... reminds me of this scene if you're familiar with it... ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFTRwD85AQ4[/video]

Related note, I sat in a senior staff meeting as a plant manager in Texas quite a few moons ago and during a discussion on a temporary downsizing made the recommendation that we, the members of the senior staff, take a 10% pay cut (we'd all have been just fine) to reduce the number of heads we were going to have to cut. Based on the reaction I got, felt somewhat lucky I still had my job when I left the meeting. :roll:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

How many of you folks are willing to grow your own food? There is abuse in the farm payments system and yes, it was intentionally put there by politicians to even subsidize window box farming in Chicago and the likes. :o

However, a bulk of the funds go to stabilize farming and keep the price of food and fiber at a reasonable level. Not saying I condone that either, but farming is heavily hit with government regulation and manipulation. Until we have a true free market (not holding my breath), subsidies will continue to be a reality.

Old saying, if your belly is full, thank a farmer. If you filled your belly in peace, thank a solider! salute2
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

MudDucker wrote:How many of you folks are willing to grow your own food? There is abuse in the farm payments system and yes, it was intentionally put there by politicians to even subsidize window box farming in Chicago and the likes. :o

However, a bulk of the funds go to stabilize farming and keep the price of food and fiber at a reasonable level. Not saying I condone that either, but farming is heavily hit with government regulation and manipulation. Until we have a true free market (not holding my breath), subsidies will continue to be a reality.

Old saying, if your belly is full, thank a farmer. If you filled your belly in peace, thank a solider! salute2

I wish there was a like button! I couldn't agree more MudDucker.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

JeffB wrote:
MudDucker wrote:How many of you folks are willing to grow your own food? There is abuse in the farm payments system and yes, it was intentionally put there by politicians to even subsidize window box farming in Chicago and the likes. :o

LIKE :thumbup: :thumbup:
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

In FY2017, a total of $13.2 billion in farm subsidies was dispersed to 957,109 recipients, an average of $1,379 per recipient.

California District 1 Representative Doug LaFalma (net worth approximately $3.5 million) received a subsidy of $637,059.
He is a voting member of the House Committee on Agriculture.

The median income in California District 1 last year: $43,000.
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

Gulf Coast wrote:
JeffB wrote:

LIKE :thumbup: :thumbup:
:thumbup: :-D