Unscrupulous corrupt people!

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

Unscrupulous corrupt people!

Post by Juan »

I hate people who take advantage of others just because they can... I've noticed several used generators listed for sale on Craigslist with a price tag many times higher than a brand new one would have cost a week ago before the storm.. Today I had two different tree removal companies come to visit... I didn't mind because I have about a dozen large trees I need cut and removed. The first company is local and quoted $5,500. which I thought was a fair price... the second company is in town from the Birmingham area and they quoted $17,000 to do the exact same job.. actually a little less. They're obviously here to take advantage of insurance companies and anyone they can... Ticks me off! :smt011
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Unscrupulous corrupt people!

Post by silverking »

My wife's friend had four big trees down, two on the house. The insurance company hired a contract tree service company to do the job for $18K. Don't know if they got other bids or not, but that's outrageous. Seeing a lot of out-of-town "contractors" running around. Price gougers rank right up there with looters and animal abusers in my book.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
wacissaguy

Post by wacissaguy »

What really pi---s me off is the insurance companies taking this price gouging-just leads to higher rates and refusing to insure people.
tabb

Post by tabb »

I had a crew take big oak off my house and out of the yard. It was two root balls but they were split oaks so it was 4 trees to me. I was having tough time to get any locals to take care of it for me. Had several out of town crews stopped by with all kinds of deals but only one gave me a written quote. I thought it was high 5,500 but my insurance agent said to jump on it. The crew showed up two hours early and went straight to work. They were making a quick job of trees and I immediately thought I had paid them to much. However, when they did finish I wanted to give them more money. They took down an extra pine, trimmed up so other damaged trees and left my yard pretty clean. They even tried to smooth out some ruts caused by equipment. They were super cautious not to cause more damage and even put a tarp up for me.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

The out of town gypsy crews are circling around Lanark and St James. Had one show up at my house and offer to take out the damaged concrete. Would not give a price and didn't know how to support my porch roof. I told my guy down there to invite them off of my property. They left cussing and carrying on. I told my guy to let them know I had a camera and it was working so that they would not be tempted to return and loot.

Many come to help, but a lot show up to rip off. Be careful!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
RedHillsTurkeyCalls

Post by RedHillsTurkeyCalls »

Every lowlife scumwad is drawn to tragedies like this everywhere!

If someone works on your property, MAKE SURE they are licensed and insured.

If not and something happens, you could be held liable for any monetary recourse. (injuries to scumwads)
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I got power at my office in Quincy on Thursday (18th) afternoon. Have been going like crazy to catch up. Still trying today.

Still powerless at my house-hoping to have power by Friday. Total rebuild of the power lines from my house to the main road - 1.7 miles away and counted 27 trees on the power lines.

My saltwater boat did fine. Shed it was under was taken out by a tree, but on the other side. Duck boat is buried.

I had tons of downed trees (like 20ish). I bought a tractor with a grapple and front end loader and am doing it myself. If I don't need the tractor in a couple years I will sell it. Heard some crazy stories from Quincy west on prices. I can drive in and out now (took a day of cutting just to clear our driveway enough to get in and out). Kind of hard to get too worked up over downed trees when people just west of us lost everything. It is all relative.

Be safe out there folks.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

That's a lot of downed trees. Sounds like you were fortunate more stuff wasn't crushed.

Hang in there and hope your power is restored quickly. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Onefish, you might want to keep the tractor. If storms keep coming through(3 in past 3 years) it might come in handy again. We have a big Kuboda and grappler where I work and do all kinds of jobs with it, they are great. :wink:
Yours in the South